A question of etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, i think i understand the points of view here. so is a wireless computer not reliable? i understand it has failure points (lost signal, dead batteries, flooding). I was under the impression though that the technology was pretty reliable given the regularity that i see experienced divers useing the Vytec. Would it be acceptable then to use the wireless connection for recreational diving and add on an spg for wrecks, caves and more intense diving? Most of my diving is for photography or simple enjoyment (or crab).

Fishstiq:
Okay, i think i understand the points of view here. so is a wireless computer not reliable? i understand it has failure points (lost signal, dead batteries, flooding). I was under the impression though that the technology was pretty reliable given the regularity that i see experienced divers useing the Vytec. Would it be acceptable then to use the wireless connection for recreational diving and add on an spg for wrecks, caves and more intense diving? Most of my diving is for photography or simple enjoyment (or crab).
If you have find your wireless to be reliable, then you should use it (I happen to agree with you). If it is not reliable you need to ditch it quick, like any other piece of trash. You are trading some minor potential gas loss failures for some significant potential information loss failures. Only you can evaluate that trade off. What your real question should be is what are other divers’ experiences with spg failures and with Vytec failures.

Acceptable (for recreational use) to who?? It's your gear, your dive, your safety, your decision. Like I said IMO if you plan on calling the dive then and there if it fails, which I would, If at anytime throughout your planned dive it is not advisable except in a true emergency to do a direct ascent due to hazards then do yourself and your buddy a favor and get an spg if not for your sake then for your buddies, your in it together.

As for reliability...I've seen the wireless fail on the Vytec on several occassions, is it a small percentage of the users dives, probably but it happens, you said it yourself the technology is "pretty reliable". I've never seen a spg fail, although I'm sure it happens occassionally.

-Garrett

I had a wireless computer (not a Suunto) and it frequently lost the link in cold and/or turbid water. Maybe the Suunto's are better, I don't know. I have a Vytec but no transmitter.

R..

Just a quick thought here...that I'll go at from another angle. Sometimes it just really sucks when you have to miss a diving day due to a failure, or the sensor isn't picking up. Get yourself a nice brass SPG, and maybe a spare depth guage of some sort (watch with it built in, bottom timer, wrist mount DG...) to throw in your bag. Pick up a used one at the LDS. Cheap insurance when you just paid $150 to go to get on a dive boat. If you move into other areas of diving you'll need it anyway.

On a recent dive trip this weekend one of the divers on the boat had the battery die on her computer/ air integrated unit.
We were on a boat in a remote place.
Someone had an extra computer in the save a dive bag, the boat had a console SPG that we hooked up to her tank thus saving the rest of her dive day.
I have had computer battieries die on a dive but never my SPG...
Just my .02
I will stick with my SPG
K

as far as regular recreational diving i would say that the computer is ok. I prefer having a spg on a console. my spg consists of only an air guage clipped to my hip d-ring. These almost never fail, although they can its just rare. If you notice most tech divers do not use boots on their spg, because if it does fail it is easier to get work on without the boot.

Just my thoughts

Fishstiq:
Unfortunately this has become a bit of a Computer vs SPG discussion and there are some 'passionate' views in the tech community.

I recall you original questions was whether or not to add an SPG as a backup to your Vytec. This is a simple question... Use one or the other, but only use one. If either one fails your ending the dive regardless of the remaining tank volume. You should have a rough idea of the remaining volume because you've been checking periodically (and not waiting for the turn beep). In all senerios the "backup" SPG only adds failure points (3-4 o-rings on an SPG) and no increased safety. Keep a set of batteries, a SPG, and some tables in your bag. For an expensive live aboard trip I *might* carry a "puck style" computer on every dive.

Ask whoever advises you to install/use a backup SPG what would be different? In what scenario does it add safety? If they hint/imply/say you can continue your dive, stop listening.

Regarding computers... Depending on your fitness and skill level the computer *may* get you a few more minutes of bottom time. The various beeps will alert you to problems you may or may not be aware of. Keep them maintained and powered and you'll be fine.

I have seen broken (cracked face) spgs, they still worked at least for the rest of that dive. Ditto for leaking spg o-rings. Those bubbles tend to be very small and not vent much gas. Basically, when spgs fail, they still work for the remainder of the dive. That's why simple brass gauges with a SS boltsnap attachment are the hogarthian way. Simple, minimalist, virtually unbreakable.

I have had several gauges/computers crap out on me (none were Vytecs). In all cases they completely ceased to do anything. Blank screen. Removing a simple peice of gear (the spg) to save a hose but add a transmitter and batteries is not simple nor unbreakable. Whether its minimalist is debatable.

I would put the vytec in gauge mode and skip the transmitter.

I was almost talked into buying an integrated comp when I first got certed. Fortunately my checking account said no.Almost 3 yrs and 14,000 dollars later I still have my veo 200 non integrated and could not be happier. I carry the wheel as a back up and up until yesterday when I received my new OMS bt in the mail from a guy on the deco stop I also carried a back up analog guage and watch in my pocket. I will now use my veo and bt as backup or vice versa depending on the dive I'm doing. I just started NAUI tech 1 and saw a guy on the first day of class get told to get rid of his transmitter, replace with an spg and even though he could still use his comp, it was a suunto (not sure what model), had to take it out of the console and wrist mount it. Other option- don't take the class. I have seen a few air integrated comps lose signal, have batts die and so forth. I have also seen it with non integrated ones as well. Bottom line if you're on the boat and at the site and the batt in the comp or in the transmitter dies are you willing to sit out the dive when I, the dm, tells you you can't dive without your own way to check your pressure, note your depth, time, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom