A question for Christie or Dave .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like diving in the fall, which can be the 'rainy season' and normally do 10 days each in Sept, Oct, Nov & Dec. In 2013 it started raining in August and pretty much continued until the beginning of December. I was told that the month of October (2013) was the wettest on record and I believe it, I kept thinking that if it rained any more the island would sink. I never missed a day due to rain, a couple due to no other divers, but not because of rain. One day at Palancar the rain slacked up and I counted a total of 6 boats looking north and south but the port never closed.

Just want to partially hijack this thread for a very public thank you to Christi and Dave. Your up to the minute information on Cozumel is a tremendous asset to this forum. I'm still a few years away from spending several months a year in my new home....but until then, at least I have Y'all. Thanks again.

Jay
Thanks Jay! I'm in good company with Dave! Even though we have differing opinions on occasion, we usually agree on the stuff that matters :) and I respect Dave and his business/operation. He's a good guy :)

Dave - agreed, for a few years there seemed like we were always pendiente for a storm. Dean is easy for me to remember because I was in Chetumal days before it hit and rushed back to prep for it - then it hitChetumal. I thought it was the year after Wilma, but Don is probably right.

Hurricanes (not Tropical Storms) that hit Cozumel:
Wilma 2005, Emily 2005, Roxanne 1995, Keith 1995, Gilbert 1988, Beulah 1967, Hilda 1955, Charlie 1951, (prior to 1950 hurricanes were not named) 1944b, 1944a, 1942, 1938b, 1938a, 1933, 1922, 1909, 1903, 1893, 1887b, 1887a, 1880, 1873 (no records prior to 1871)

I think the one in 1871 was "Graduado", but I could be wrong again.

Dave

Hurricanes and tropical depressions aside, as they say, If ya don't like the weather you're experiencing in Coz wait a minute. It always changes. Any forecasts more than 2-3 days out are WORTHLESS in my opinion. How many times have we all cancelled next day dives because the waves were crashing over the break wall and the water was boiling in the PM only to wake up to clear blue sky and total calm the next AM? And then called our dive op and asked "Can we go?".

I like diving in the fall, which can be the 'rainy season' and normally do 10 days each in Sept, Oct, Nov & Dec. In 2013 it started raining in August and pretty much continued until the beginning of December. I was told that the month of October (2013) was the wettest on record and I believe it, I kept thinking that if it rained any more the island would sink. I never missed a day due to rain, a couple due to no other divers, but not because of rain. One day at Palancar the rain slacked up and I counted a total of 6 boats looking north and south but the port never closed.
I'm pretty sure it was 2013 when it rained on Cozumel every day for our entire trip and for weeks thereafter, and our trip was in May.

I'm pretty sure it was 2013 when it rained on Cozumel every day for our entire trip and for weeks thereafter, and our trip was in May.

2013 was kind of a blur for me so I don't remember. But some may also remember the year of the BIG flood in 2004, the year before Emily and Wilma - that was June 2004 - literally the entire island was underwater - I came in from Chetumal and taxi's weren't even able to run. A friend came and got us in her VW bug and water was coming inside - we ended up having to wade through knee to waist deep water 10 blocks carrying our suitcases overhead in the rain - I will never forget that :)

Last edited:
Yeah, SB is back online...!!

A friend came and got us in her VW bug and water was coming inside
That's when cars drift off into deeper water. The experts tell us to never drive thru water, but we all try it at times. I remember one time north of Kerrville, we came upon a flooded road, limbs stuck in places - so I sit on the hood to move the limbs while she drove with kids in the backseat. We're lucky they didn't have to search for our bodies.

2013 was kind of a blur for me so I don't remember. But some may also remember the year of the BIG flood in 2004, the year before Emily and Wilma - that was June 2004 - literally the entire island was underwater - I came in from Chetumal and taxi's weren't even able to run. A friend came and got us in her VW bug and water was coming inside - we ended up having to wade through knee to waist deep water 10 blocks carrying our suitcases overhead in the rain - I will never forget that :)

I guess we've had a bunch of events:

Actually the worst I remember, as for rain and flood was a week before Hurricane Roxanne in 1995. A tropical storm came by named Opal which later hit Florida as a Hurricane) . Like Niagara Falls at 9 PM then bright sun at 6 am…40 inches of rain in 9 hours. So much lightening that I disconnected my computer, only to see it turn a blue glow later—forgot the telephone cord!

The most amazing sight for me was that all of the man hole covers on the main drag were blown off and 40 ft geysers were blowing into the air. That lightening put me out of business (CompuServe back then) so I ran back to the US to get a new modem and missed Roxanne. In truth the tropical storm caused a lot more damage to the island than the Hurricane.

Dave

I also remember a trip in the mid 80's when a tropical depression came in and sat on Cozumel for a week with a solid 24/7 rain. The pool at La Perla (now Blue Angel) overflowed and the streets were like rivers. I extended my stay to try to get on the other side of it, but I ended up leaving in the rain.

Back
Top Bottom