A new year reminder for Atomic Cobalt owners with Firmware 1.10-1.13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
A reminder for Cobalt owners- If you have firmware versions 1.10 to 1.13, these will not update the new year automatically- newer and older firmware versions will. But for these versions, you need to change the year manually for new dives to record with the correct date in the log.

I'm hoping our newer firmware versions will be up on the website very soon, and I encourage everyone to update when they are. There are a number of enhancements in the new firmware, including 90° and 120° bearing marker options for the compass. Also, a firmware updater compatible with Mac OS 10.5-10.8 should be posted shortly. This will replace the older Mac firmware tool.

Ron

Changing the date to 2013 is NOT the only issue. I did not notice that the year did not change until I was trying to figure out how the computer became so conservative. What I did notice on my first dive for 2013 is that the computer put me into Deco 5 minutes into a 22 meter dive. Certainly not a safety issue if you cut the dive short and follow the computer, but one that should not occur in a $1,200 dive computer. I had 4 dives scheduled for the day and my Atomic has proven to be useless for the day. My B.U.D. certainly saved the day.

Changing the date to 2013 is NOT the only issue. I did not notice that the year did not change until I was trying to figure out how the computer became so conservative. What I did notice on my first dive for 2013 is that the computer put me into Deco 5 minutes into a 22 meter dive. Certainly not a safety issue if you cut the dive short and follow the computer, but one that should not occur in a $1,200 dive computer. I had 4 dives scheduled for the day and my Atomic has proven to be useless for the day. My B.U.D. certainly saved the day.
This is an unfortunate consequence of the Cobalt's failure to change the year. When the Cobalt sees that the current time is set prior to the end of the last recorded dive, as it is when the year does not update, it knows the time must not be set correctly, and it defaults to the most conservative option. This is to assume the dive is starting just after the last one, with no surface interval. That means it will be excessively conservative.

You're absolutely correct this should not have happened, and the new firmware should have been made available well before this issue came up. I'm going to be working with Atomic to see the firmware update is posted as soon as possible.

Ron

Sevenrider860-I apologize for your last experience with the Cobalt...We will make sure to get with Ron quickly to make sure we can get the update on the website as quick as possible. Thank you Ron for the update and assistance!

Atomic Aquatics

We will make sure to get with Ron quickly to make sure we can get the update on the website as quick as possible.

Atomic Aquatics

The firmware update is expected...when?

I posted this same question up above regarding a firmware problem, where RonR indicated that:
The 1.13 firmware is very conservative about taking the sensor offline if it detects a bad reading, or there is even a transient a communications problem with the processor. The newer firmware contains some "under the hood" changes that do a better job of checking for and evaluating errors, and should be more robust.​
I am expecting my new Cobalt to arrive at my LDS tomorrow, and I fly early the next morning for a week on a liveaboad in the Bahamas. I'd like to update the Cobalt before leaving if that is going to be possible. I like the idea of having a "more robust" firmware working.

An additional question: with the new Cobalt, is there anything I should add to my "save the dive/trip" kit?

Thanks.

David

Last edited:
Hi David

The new firmware is not available quite yet. It is a little more robust, but it is still going through some field tests and chamber dives to make sure that there are no issues. I don't think it will be ready by the time you leave for you. We don't have anything in the way of a save a dive kit for the Cobalt. I would recommend, however, bringing both the USB and AC plug on the trip so that you have two choices on how to charge (if needed). Thank you so much David....If you have any further questions....don't hesitate to contact us!

Atomic Aquatics

The firmware update is expected...when?

I posted this same question up above regarding a firmware problem, where RonR indicated that:
I am expecting my new Cobalt to arrive at my LDS tomorrow, and I fly early the next morning for a week on a liveaboad in the Bahamas. I'd like to update the Cobalt before leaving if that is going to be possible. I like the idea of having a "more robust" firmware working.

An additional question: with the new Cobalt, is there anything I should add to my "save the dive/trip" kit?

Thanks.

David

Last edited:

A backup computer or dive tables. :wink:

I have not had any problems with my Cobalt other than the "known" issue of changing the year. However, it was utterly useless for 4 dives. I have a Oceanic B.U.D. When I saw the Cobalt go into Deco so quickly, I knew there was something wrong, so I immediately referenced my B.U.D., completed the dive and continued with the 3 other dives for the day.

My issue is that this was clearly a known issue in the firmware and no update was provided prior to 12/31/2012. I received no communication from Atomic that this was a known issue and that I should be aware of it. I used a $199 dive computer to save the day because my $1,200 computer had an error that the company decided was not an issue important enough to fix in the 7 months I owned the computer.

My opinion of the company has definitely been affected by this experience. I still dive my ST1 and I still have my Cobalt and my daughter still has her B2. However, my daughter was with me on this trip and when she purchased her computer she did not want the Cobalt. So this did result in one lost sale.

Can you explain a little? maybe i'm dense but I noticed when I was charging mine (only 2 of the 3, the 3rd has a battery issue...) on Dec31 I noticed the no fly time was zero. I changed the date the next day and all was fine. However we were only doing 2 dives/day. Looks like you were on a livaboard.

A backup computer or dive tables. :wink:

I have not had any problems with my Cobalt other than the "known" issue of changing the year. However, it was utterly useless for 4 dives. I have a Oceanic B.U.D. When I saw the Cobalt go into Deco so quickly, I knew there was something wrong, so I immediately referenced my B.U.D., completed the dive and continued with the 3 other dives for the day.

My issue is that this was clearly a known issue in the firmware and no update was provided prior to 12/31/2012. I received no communication from Atomic that this was a known issue and that I should be aware of it. I used a $199 dive computer to save the day because my $1,200 computer had an error that the company decided was not an issue important enough to fix in the 7 months I owned the computer.

I had nearly the exact same experience on a dive several weeks ago, when the Cobalt my wife was diving jumped straight into deco on the first dive of the new year. She was understandably concerned about why her trusty computer that she loved so much was suddenly behaving very strangely, but I remembered the firmware bug and just told her to remain above me and we'd dive the Cobalt's pressure for her and my Petrel's NDLs for the both of us.

Fixing the date topside fixed the issue, but from a company like Atomic and with a product like the $1200 Cobalt I expect a lot more than 'oops, yeah, there's a workaround for our year-old bug.' Similarly, the firmware update situation for Mac has been delay after delay after delay. Errors are to be expected, but year long delays to get it right are never, ever acceptable. If you have to release something that works on 95% of Mac systems after a couple months, rather than making everyone wait forever, so be it. To give credit where it's well and truly due, on the hardware side of things, Atomic's service has always been great and the Cobalt is no exception. If something's wrong, they'll just make it right.

Now my Cobalt is off for repair due to its flooding during a recent deep dive where it was a backup, and I'm honestly not sure I'm going to keep diving it when it comes back. I recently grabbed a VPM-enabled OC Predator for an amazing price, and plan to use it as a backup for my deco dives/a second computer for when diving with the wife. She likes the Cobalt's U/I a lot, but likes her computer to work more. I like the Cobalt's U/I a lot, but like something simple enough for her and more flexible for me to use as a backup more.

To be clear, although it recently returned from Atomic after getting its buttons fixed and recall checked, I have no concerns about the reliability of the Cobalt itself. Despite some annoyances (alarms that cannot be silenced, no "expert mode" to allow for on the fly gas definition) that have become more glaring the less recreational diving I do, I still think it is hands down the best designed dive computer interface on the market. It could be amazing for tech diving with a firmware addition to give the diver more control over the computer's behavior during a dive.

Last edited:
I made 2 dives (~32 meters) on 12/31/12 and then did not dive again until 1/2/13. I failed to notice that the year did not roll over to 2013. Five minutes at 22 meters had me going into Deco. Common sense told me that the computer could not be correct. I looked at my backup computer (Oceanic B.U.D.) and confirmed that the Cobalt was wrong. Cobalt became an expensive SPG at that point.

Based on Ron's response, the Cobalt put me into a dive profile assuming a zero surface interval from last dive on 12/31/2012. This resulted in an ultra conservative profile. If a new diver did not trust instinct and did not have tables or another computer, they could follow the Cobalt and they would be safe (of course their day of diving would be cut very short!). So it was not a safety issue.

Diving in Subic Bay, no live aboard.

Back
Top Bottom