A new religion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dion:
Ok I give up, I will probably feel stupid for asking this, but what the heck is DIR????? I've seen it on this board lots of times, and I have no clue what it stands for. Its driving me nuts, I even went to the FAQ to see if there was some lingo section that might give a definition. I'm sorry if I am being naive, somebody please explain!

Dion :)

In a nutshell, DIR stands for "Doing It Right." DIR is a holistic philosophy toward diving, which focuses on physical and mental fitness, a safe diving attitude, comprehensive buddy skills, and proper gear configuration. For a bit more information, see http://www.gue.com.

For a full explanation: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=44823

Mike

Dion:
Ok I give up, I will probably feel stupid for asking this, but what the heck is DIR????? I've seen it on this board lots of times, and I have no clue what it stands for. Its driving me nuts, I even went to the FAQ to see if there was some lingo section that might give a definition. I'm sorry if I am being naive, somebody please explain!

I think perhaps Brother DPM could answer that one for you.

They are the "Brothers in Black" and they espouse the use of computers in the observances of their religeon.

Ok so now my question is why do people seem to make fun of them? Or am I misunderstanding? Do they take themselves too seriously? (Which is what usually makes a good target.)

Oh and I love the idea of a scuba diving religion, it would make church much more interesting. :) I am going to start telling people I am a scubaterian just to see the looks on their faces. :wink:

can we make it so seafood dinners in expensive restaurants are sacrifices to our gods and therefore also deductible? mmm, seafood communion...

Dion:
Ok so now my question is why do people seem to make fun of them? Or am I misunderstanding? Do they take themselves too seriously? (Which is what usually makes a good target.)

Oh and I love the idea of a scuba diving religion, it would make church much more interesting. :) I am going to start telling people I am a scubaterian just to see the looks on their faces. :wink:

Well our DIR brothers are part of the fundamentalist (Halcyon) Wing. Thet take themselves very seriously and say that true communion can only be obtained by wearing your gear in a specific configuration.

Dion:

We, as scubatarians, accept all of our scuba diving brothers and sisters with open arms.

DrSteve:
Well our DIR brothers are part of the fundamentalist (Halcyon) Wing. Thet take themselves very seriously and say that true communion can only be obtained by wearing your gear in a specific configuration.
He heee. But do they take liberites in their interpretation of the Book of diving?

Mike Loyco:
We, as $cubatarian$, accept all of our $cuba diving brother$ and $i$ter$ with open arm$.
Fixed :D

That's right, everyone i$ welcome to join :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom