A new approach to diy DPV... is it practical?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bshey

Registered
Reaction score
hey all. This will be my first post on scubaboard and i look forward to many future posts.

I have been looking into dpv's quite vaguely and havent seriously considered buying one, mostly due to cost and lack of transportability. i also looked into diy dpv's, and it doesnt seem to be much cheaper. I am quite handy, but dont feel like spending a whole lot. Upon seeing this video, i thought why cant it be done for scuba? (the lady's fancy form of propulsion)

[video=youtube;ucivXRBrP_0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucivXRBrP_0[/video]

I have done some work with homebuilt ROV's and general rov thruster seemed to fit the bill. I also have many of the materials already. I could easily shroud the props like this:

Screen shot 2012-08-21 at 9.44.17 PM.png

I can get around 2-3lbs of thrust per motor. I could have 2 or maybe even 3 motors on each leg (4-6 motors in total) because these motors are very small. I could run the motors off 3 cell (11.1v) lipo batteries. This would all prove for a very compact system. However, i am very worried about thrust. Is it enough? Input is appreciated.

Thanks.

Assuming 6 motors at 3 pounds each (the upper limit on thrust), you'd only have 18 pounds of thrust. A little thrust potentially goes a long way with a very streamlined free diver, but when you add the drag of tanks, etc, 18 pounds won't be enough.

Even the bottom end of tech capable scooters deliver at least 35 pounds of thrust, and while non tech capable scooters like the See Doo DPVs, etc have a lot less thrust than that, they also are not all that satisfying for even single tank divers.

huh. could you do something with 12v trolling motors then? you could get at least 20 lbs of thrust out of each motor. With two wouldnt that be more then enough? Could it be done?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom