A Moderately Priced Mask for Strong Prescriptions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ironborn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am very near-sighted and require a strong prescription for my glasses (-9.0). My need for a strong prescription mask was a factor in deterring me from trying this sport sooner than I eventually did; the higher cost of a custom prescription mask made me reluctant to invest in it when I did not know if I would enjoy the sport at all or was even capable of it. I only took up the sport when I was lucky enough to stumble across a dive shop in the Dominican Republic last year that happened to have a prescription mask strong enough for me. I did my DSD with them and later decided to pursue my OWD certification and buy a prescription mask.

I learned of more moderately priced masks with pre-made prescription lenses that could be installed into them, but I found that most of those masks only supported prescriptions as strong as -8.0. It took quite a bit of research to find such a mask that supported my stronger -9.0 prescription. I found one on getwetstore.com: the Promate MK270. It has served me well in over 50 dives thus far. I only had a few tiny leaks in Cozumel at sites with strong current, which may have been strong enough to push the mask away from my face enough to let in a few small drops of water. I do not believe that those few leaks are a reflection on the integrity of the mask itself. At $50-60, it has been a good investment at a low price, relative to the cost of custom prescription masks.

I was sufficiently satisfied with it that I decided to invest in a spare, since my dive trip would effectively be over if I lost it. It is still on promateusa.com, but getwetstore.com indicated that they do not sell it anymore and instead recommended the MK275. They described it as basically the same mask, except with a better strap, and it cost about the same as the MK270. I tested it for a few dives, and it worked well.

Some of Tusa's masks take drop in prescription lenses. They only go up to -8, as well, though:

Tusa

Other comp have similar options, too. Maybe there is one out there stronger than 8.

Note that your optimum prescription under water is slightly less than your regular glasses. There are some online calculators that will run you through that math. -8 may be good enough.

Also consider that our visibility under water is less than above, even on the best days. So, our extreme distance vision isn't as important, and again maybe -8 might be enough, especially for a backup mask or on a budget.

If you have to have stronger than drop in lenses, then it's either custom prescriptions (not cheap) like these...

prescriptiondivemasks.com

... or perhaps you could find a used mask with your prescription for cheap, but that's a long shot.

Good luck

Hi Ironborn,

Have you thought about using contacts? I'm not an expert but a quick look on the internet showed that daily disposable contacts go up to -12.

Both my wife and I have been using contacts for diving for years.

Regards,

Bert

Hi Ironborn,

Have you thought about using contacts? I'm not an expert but a quick look on the internet showed that daily disposable contacts go up to -12.

Both my wife and I have been using contacts for diving for years.

Regards,

Bert

Asking on behalf of my wife who right now works on becoming more comfortable in the water (mostly in a chlorinated pool) and will take an OW class early August. She is not that shortsighted, but enough to be lost w/o optical help. Right now she does not dare opening her eyes in the water if she wears contacts, unless she has a mask on. Of course we also try eye opening UW w/o mask, but in that case then so far w/o contacts. Her concern is they get displaced either by the water or by her rubbing stingy eyes...
Could you offer some insight in what works and does not work for you?

I dive a Tusa mask with off the shelf drop in lenses. Mask retails $50? Lens $30 each.

Asking on behalf of my wife who right now works on becoming more comfortable in the water (mostly in a chlorinated pool) and will take an OW class early August. She is not that shortsighted, but enough to be lost w/o optical help. Right now she does not dare opening her eyes in the water if she wears contacts, unless she has a mask on. Of course we also try eye opening UW w/o mask, but in that case then so far w/o contacts. Her concern is they get displaced either by the water or by her rubbing stingy eyes...

Hi Schwaeble,

I use contacts only for diving. One eye gets a lens that allows me to see close-up and one eye gets a distance lens. It takes about ten seconds to get used to that arrangement and it works great. The wife has good distance vision and uses only one close-up lens.

You can't open your eyes underwater without a mask or a contact might wash out but have never had a problem with the mask on, even when clearing the mask underwater. Rubbing the eyes is probably a no-no.

I used contacts while diving for years before I had LASIK. I never had a problem.

both my daughter and my wife dive wearing contacts....

I wear contacts and have done several no mask drills with eyes open, haven't had one wash out yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom