A leaking SPG - no back up. Now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use AI Computer + SPG.

Whilst there are many on this forum that do not believe that the AI is sufficiently reliable (many other threads go into tens of pages about this), this set-up still delivers 2 independent (post first-stage) pressure gauges. In the OP's case, a set-up like this would save a dive in the event of a failure of the traditional SPG.

Regards
Richard

It was great fun running around the city, looking for a dive shop that sold regular old SPGs.

Probably a lot more fun than running around San Miguel trying to find a replacement for the power brick for my computer, which I accidentally left at home. My three years of high school Spanish (from back in the days when computers were the size of a gymnasium and didn't come with power bricks) didn't even come close to being adequate for communication with the back street computer stores. At least you were looking for something that someone on the island was likely to have!

All the same, I feel your pain :D

Time to switch to an AI wireless PDC and let the SPG be a backup.
Many of the divers that argue against wireless do so claiming B&G SPG to be so much more reliable. You have however just found out that is not necessarily the case.
If you may have to thumb a dive for equipment failure why not have the most convienient device the rest of the time.
When my brass/glass pressure gauge finally does go out I can replace it for $65, at that price I can't justify not having a backup pressure gauge/spool/hose in my travel kit.

Compared to, what, several benjamins for a wireless pressure gauge transmitter (if you can find a shop that has the one you need)?

Hey, I don't care, you dive however you like. My time in warm tropical waters isn't nearly frequent enough that I want to be wasting part or all of a dive day chasing down parts or repairs (even common ones). YMMV.

Warm, shallow, dives? Put a plug in and dive already. That's what a pony or a buddy is for.

With a pony or a competent buddy, sure ... why not? Is there any place on the Grove that, push come to shove, I couldn't make a comfortable free ascent? No? Didn't think so.

When my brass/glass pressure gauge finally does go out I can replace it for $65, at that price I can't justify not having a backup pressure gauge/spool/hose in my travel kit.

Compared to, what, several benjamins for a wireless pressure gauge transmitter (if you can find a shop that has the one you need)?

Hey, I don't care, you dive however you like. My time in warm tropical waters isn't nearly frequent enough that I want to be wasting part or all of a dive day chasing down parts or repairs (even common ones). YMMV.

What part of letting the SPG be a backup did you not understand?

Chase down parts for a PDC I don't thinks so... You should have an extra set of batteries in your save a dive kit any repair past that(to the PDC) break out the SPG, dive watch and tables.

And if you really value your time in warm tropical water a computer will allow you to spend more time in the water than tables and an SPG.

Finally the AI wrist computers are a convenience that many of us have found worth the price.

With a pony or a competent buddy, sure ... why not? Is there any place on the Grove that, push come to shove, I couldn't make a comfortable free ascent? No? Didn't think so.
That's fine for you. I dive using different parameters, that's all.

I dive with an AI wrist-mounted PDC (Atom 2.0), and also have a mini SPG attached. If one should fail, I will continue the dive. Should the other then fail on the same dive, then I would abort the dive.

I would love to hear about someone that had a AI PDC and a SPG fail on the same dive though, I would think it is EXTEREMLY rare, other than maybe the first-stage failing completely, which would mean aborting the dive in a hurry anyway :D

:confused:

:popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom