A leaking SPG - no back up. Now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think spending money on an AI computer simply for the sake of having a backup is a bit extreme. Calculating your SAC rate is a whole lot cheaper.

I agree that would be.
The reason you should spend the money on an AI computer is to make it your primary and let the SPG become the backup. It tracks your nitrogen load and oxygen partial pressure far more accurately than you can with tables.
By doing so it gives you a on the fly reading that can extend your time in the water while maintaining your safety.

I agree that would be.
The reason you should spend the money on an AI computer is to make it your primary and let the SPG become the backup. It tracks your nitrogen load and oxygen partial pressure far more accurately than you can with tables.
By doing so it gives you a on the fly reading that can extend your time in the water while maintaining your safety.

Uhhh,
The argument you make applies just as well to non-AI computers, which can be had at about 1/4 the cost of an AI, and are generally more reliable.

I agree that would be.

I do use a computer, just not an air integrated (AI) unit. My point was that if you know your SAC rate and are checking your timer, SPG, and depth regularly you should be able to provide yourself with a fairly accurate estimate of how much air is in the tank if your SPG floods/fogs/whatnot and you know how many minutes you've been at an average depth of X.

Uhhh,
The argument you make applies just as well to non-AI computers, which can be had at about 1/4 the cost of an AI, and are generally more reliable.

A non AI computer does not allow you to have your backup spg on the dive with you unless you run TWO HP hoses. An analog spg and a wrist mount AI computer gives you the ability to do the dive even if one goes boobs up when you open the tank at the dive site.

What they are talking about is divers WITH AI computers having an analog spg as a backup. They are not talking about buying an AI computer as a backup! :shakehead:

What's the big deal? Sling a 30 cube pony ... as long as your only doing rec dives, who cares if your spg works? The worst that will happen is a slow breath and a switch to your pony.

I carry a complete first stage with reg, octo and spg. 2 days before trip and first stage acted up. Ended up getting other set emergencies....lol

I carry a complete spare reg setup on every dive.
I also carry a spare spg on a 28" hose just in case.

Jim Breslin

Last edited:
:rofl3:

Especially funny since I was an extra in Sudden Impact.

"Nobody, I mean nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog!" :D
I couldn't resist ... I'm very pleased that you were not offended and have a sense of humor.:D

I carry a complete spare reg, ready to go. I don't intend to miss a dive due to a regulator problem.
as do I, the other day I had a massive failure as I started my descent, went back up, changed out regs, and saved a $100 charter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom