A leaking SPG - no back up. Now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A non AI computer does not allow you to have your backup spg on the dive with you unless you run TWO HP hoses. An analog spg and a wrist mount AI computer gives you the ability to do the dive even if one goes boobs up when you open the tank at the dive site.

What they are talking about is divers WITH AI computers having an analog spg as a backup. They are not talking about buying an AI computer as a backup! :shakehead:
If an SPG fails, end the dive and head to the surface. At that point, what difference does it make how much air you have? I start to get worried when I see a diver checking his SPG after a dive has been called, makes me wonder if he "cheated" his gas rules.

I know this. If I check my spg as I should, and it fails, I'll have a general idea of how much gas I have, within 200psi or so on a single tank (100 doubles). That knowledge should be enough to let me know I can do a safety stop and finish the ascent.

Back
Top Bottom