A leaking SPG - no back up. Now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have to love bolt 'n' pray.

With a pony or a competent buddy, sure ... why not? Is there any place on the Grove that, push come to shove, I couldn't make a comfortable free ascent? No? Didn't think so.

I had a friend who did just that, although not planned. He just bought a Vytec with the transmitter and didn't link the two up before he jumped in the water, so he had all the info but pressure. Had the "oh s***t" moment going down the mooring line and didn't know to how to re-sync on the fly.

He ended up staying down longer than he had planned and started ascending when the tank got hard to breathe. Got a couple more breaths every few feet and even made a couple minute stop before surfacing.

You people do know that we used to dive without any pressure information, right? Certainly not the best way to dive, but people did it for years before SPG's became common.

That said, I too, bring another reg setup with me, even if it's just a stage setup.

RA, my bad, I missed that.

FWIW, I have loaned my spare SPG to a Vytec owner who for whatever reason wasn't able to get his computer and transmitter to sync (not battery related). That was the day I was sure the pressure gauge transmitters weren't for me.

You people do know that we used to dive without any pressure information, right? Certainly not the best way to dive, but people did it for years before SPG's became common.
Yeah, I wouldn't do a 100' dive that way, but that's just me. Its hard to do the whole rock bottom thing if you don't know how much air is in your tank.

People also used to drive without seatbelts, airbags, carseats for kids, etc. OTOH, I think nereas and captain are still diving J-valves! :lotsalove:

And that many others of us consider to be a complete waste of money.
And not just a waste of money but, for some new divers, a waste of money when they may be better served buying other gear first. But, yes, the hoseless AI computers are an easy sell in a dive shop because of the cool factor.

Sounds like a bad O-ring. If it was not the O-ring, I would say a hose was leaking. I have never seen a SPG leaking gases. However, I have seen a lot of SPG's which weren’t calibrated correct.

I think spending money on an AI computer simply for the sake of having a backup is a bit extreme. Calculating your SAC rate is a whole lot cheaper.

... Yeah, I wouldn't do a 100' dive that way, but that's just me. Its hard to do the whole rock bottom thing if you don't know how much air is in your tank.

People also used to drive without seatbelts, airbags, carseats for kids, etc. ...
You are quite correct and well within your rights and sensible practices. Remember Harry Callahan?

Sounds like a bad O-ring. If it was not the O-ring, I would say a hose was leaking. I have never seen a SPG leaking gases. However, I have seen a lot of SPG's which weren’t calibrated correct.

And that can be a dangerous failure that many people go completely unaware of. Generally a analog gauge is accurate at 1 point of there scale and it is never the same point.

Back
Top Bottom