A leaking SPG - no back up. Now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes if you turn the air off, purge, then rotate the spg several revolutions and then try again and find it no longer leaks. N

A spare reg doesn't really take up much room, especially if it's broken down into first stage, hoses, (I do leave the SPG attached to the spare HP hose) and second stage. And like some others I carry a couple of extra spools.
><)))'>

Time to switch to an AI wireless PDC and let the SPG be a backup.
Many of the divers that argue against wireless do so claiming B&G SPG to be so much more reliable. You have however just found out that is not necessarily the case.
If you may have to thumb a dive for equipment failure why not have the most convienient device the rest of the time.

Time to switch to an AI wireless PDC and let the SPG be a backup.
Many of the divers that argue against wireless do so claiming B&G SPG to be so much more reliable. You have however just found out that is not necessarily the case.
If you may have to thumb a dive for equipment failure why not have the most convienient device the rest of the time.

You are joking right?

What IS an "AI wireless PDC?"

Air Integrated
Personal Dive Computer

One would be a fool tho think any system is failure proof. As for monitoring cylinder air I'm confident that a conventional gauge is vastly more reliable than an air integrated unit, let alone a wireless version.

Remember that failure of the actual gauge is very rare and that an air integrated computer shares the same swivel spool discussed above.

Now excuse me while I look into getting a RMA for a flooded computer. :11:

Pete

I carry spare O-rings, they're easy to replace.

I've often had leaks from the spindle, the small tube with o-rings at each end that allow the SPG to swivel. In some cases I've rented a console & HP hose, at other times solved the problem by dis-assembling the connection and cleaning out the corrosion at each end of he swivel connections. On my last trip My SPG died outright, and I found a very nice all brass serviceable SPG for $50.00, which fit the console and which I'm now using. Now I do PM's on this connection twice a year, so far so good.

If you're at all handy and willing to do some of your own service, I suggest adding the spindle to your save a dive kit, it's tiny and virtually weightless. Also include a small amount of fine emory cloth to clean out the corrosion. If I travel to places where spares or service are not readily available, I carry an old console and HP hose as a spare for either myself or my wife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom