A hero amongst us

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain Graves!?! Life saving award from the Sheriff!?!?! Nothing like getting shown up by a eight year old girl!!

Talk about accomplishment she has me beat! I do not have a commendation. Dang it!

Hanging out with Captains and the Sheriff.... geesh.

:wave-smil YOU ROCK JESSI!

:balloon You are truely an amazing young woman who has shown courage way beyond your years. You deserve every honor and award their is to give, then some more on top of that. WOW! :bogey: KUDOS TO YOU & YOUR PARENTS! :35:

How awesome!

WTG, Jessi!

Kudos to her parents, teachers, etc. for teaching this young lady how to do it right. :thumb:

I'm not sure how I missed this except it happened while I was on a business trip. Wow! That's amazing. Jessi, you have discovered how you will react in an emergency. It is a thing most of us never find out. You have the courage that it takes to do anything in life. As you can tell, everyone here is proud of you.

I'm late in seeing this also, but want to add to what the others have said so well, Jessie, you are a true hero.

Your parents and extended family (including your scubaboard family) are all rightfully very proud of you!

I just read this.. better late than never.

Your daughter IS a hero! You taught her well.
You've every right to be proud of her.

Thanks for sharing this story!! Heck, I'm proud of her, too!!
baitedstorm:
I'm posting this thread here in the Florida Conch divers forum because many of you know my youngest daughter Jessi.

Today my kids went down to the pool to play, all was going well until a little girl
(age 8) decided she would join the kids in the pool. No one knew this child other than just seeing her around our apartment complex.

Long story short, the non-swimming child ended up in the deep end of the pools floor. My courageous 8 year old daughter, Jessi, jumped in and pulled the child to the surface and then over to the steps. The little girl was unresponsive for a few seconds then began to cry and spit up water and blood. My daughter had 911 called, and within minutes the Fire Rescue was on the scene. Jessi was able to assist the paramedics with all the information they needed. Turns out this child had been left home alone with her 4 yr old brother (on several occasions). Their mom was no where to be found.

I'm so proud of my child right now, and also amazed at her strength to jump in and pull an unresponsive child from the water. This is the same child who can think of nothing else other than becoming a scuba diver. We have promised her when she is 10 we will have her certified, and pick her up some gear (she's pretty happy with her mask, snorkel, fins and wet suit for now.) I thank God she is as comfortable in the water as I am, I hate to even imagine what the outcome would have been had she not been there. She is going to make a heck of a great dive buddy one day.

Anyways guys, you are our family here and I wanted to share what happened with you all. Jessi is very upset right now, I think it's normal when something like this happens. I've explained to her that it's ok to cry now. She did what needed to be done without fear or hesitation when it was needed of her. My intentions are to allow her to read this thread in hopes of bringing her a little comfort.

Jessie,

Wow! What a great thing you were able to do! I hope you are proud of your self-confidence, inner and physical strength to save another persons life, you should be.
I can only imagine how absolutely bursting with pride your parents are, and grateful the girl’s mother must be.

Words cannot express how courageous you were to so completely and expertly accomplish what many adults are unable to do in terrifying situations. Reading about this event has caused me to tremble with awe.
Please ask your parents to let me do something to express my appreciation if you come any where near my location. I would be honored just to meet you. You are my hero.

Jessi,

You exhibited the ability to be calm, think well under pressure, and act appropriately in a stressful situation. Your action was well beyond what is expected for young ladies of your age, and beyond what some adults are capable of as well.

As a pilot of large jet aircraft, and someone who is also a police officer, I just want to say:

WAY TO GO! WELL DONE! YOU ARE JUST AMAZING!

Sincerely,

I also missed thisthe first time around, but it was so cool to read it!

Jessi - Good job! You really made a difference.

Mom - you're doing something right!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom