A hero amongst us

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baitedstorm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm posting this thread here in the Florida Conch divers forum because many of you know my youngest daughter Jessi.

Today my kids went down to the pool to play, all was going well until a little girl
(age 8) decided she would join the kids in the pool. No one knew this child other than just seeing her around our apartment complex.

Long story short, the non-swimming child ended up in the deep end of the pools floor. My courageous 8 year old daughter, Jessi, jumped in and pulled the child to the surface and then over to the steps. The little girl was unresponsive for a few seconds then began to cry and spit up water and blood. My daughter had 911 called, and within minutes the Fire Rescue was on the scene. Jessi was able to assist the paramedics with all the information they needed. Turns out this child had been left home alone with her 4 yr old brother (on several occasions). Their mom was no where to be found.

I'm so proud of my child right now, and also amazed at her strength to jump in and pull an unresponsive child from the water. This is the same child who can think of nothing else other than becoming a scuba diver. We have promised her when she is 10 we will have her certified, and pick her up some gear (she's pretty happy with her mask, snorkel, fins and wet suit for now.) I thank God she is as comfortable in the water as I am, I hate to even imagine what the outcome would have been had she not been there. She is going to make a heck of a great dive buddy one day.

Anyways guys, you are our family here and I wanted to share what happened with you all. Jessi is very upset right now, I think it's normal when something like this happens. I've explained to her that it's ok to cry now. She did what needed to be done without fear or hesitation when it was needed of her. My intentions are to allow her to read this thread in hopes of bringing her a little comfort.

wow...

wow... that is so awesome. you have done a terrific job with Jessi for her to
act this way. i would be so proud!

and Jessi, you did good! way to go! maybe you should train to become a lifeguard!

AWESOME job Jessie. You are very brave to do what you did, and I am so proud of you.

Jessi, that is so incredible! You go, girl! That little girl was so lucky you were around... Stand up ovation to you!

Vickie, you definitely have something to be proud of.

Love ya!

Kris

That is so awesome! Such strength & courage in someone so young. It will be a privilege to dive with her when she gets certified!

i don't normally read non-tirip related threads, but just got back in and this one popped up ! man..this is impressive!!!!! Well done Jessi and Baitedstorm!!!!

(....especaially after having some friends from back home [in the uK] just visiting with a 4 yr old and seeing how much effort is involved to keep everyone safe at the beach etc)

- to have a kid to so aware at that early age in order take care of the youner ones is VERY kewl.....

Woo! Hoo!!! That's awesome!!! Way to go, Jessi!!!

Vickie,
You definitely have a little girl to be proud of.

Al

That is just outstanding! Many people go through their entire lives and never have the opportunity to make such a great difference in the lives of another person, and of her family - who would have been devastated if Jessi had not done what she did. I can certainly understand your pride, and you must also be very thankful that this incident ended with everybody safe.

I can also understand why Jessi is feeling so upset. All of that nervous energy and excitement that happens when you react to an emergency can be pretty hard to let go of without having some emotional aftershock. She has every reason in the world to feel upset, and to take some time to wind down from the excitement. But when that has passed, Jessi will know something about herself that will be a blessing to her for the rest of her life, because what matters most of all is that she acted to help another person when she was needed.

What an incredible kid! At some point it'll sink in that she's done something that so many people in the world would have never have done. Having rode ambulances for a while, she's done something that most adults wouldnt even have done. You have full right to be proud of her!! Hell, I'm proud of her to! :D

baitedstorm:
I'm posting this thread here in the Florida Conch divers forum because many of you know my youngest daughter Jessi.

Today my kids went down to the pool to play, all was going well until a little girl
(age 8) decided she would join the kids in the pool. No one knew this child other than just seeing her around our apartment complex.

Long story short, the non-swimming child ended up in the deep end of the pools floor. My courageous 8 year old daughter, Jessi, jumped in and pulled the child to the surface and then over to the steps. The little girl was unresponsive for a few seconds then began to cry and spit up water and blood. My daughter had 911 called, and within minutes the Fire Rescue was on the scene. Jessi was able to assist the paramedics with all the information they needed. Turns out this child had been left home alone with her 4 yr old brother (on several occasions). Their mom was no where to be found.

I'm so proud of my child right now, and also amazed at her strength to jump in and pull an unresponsive child from the water. This is the same child who can think of nothing else other than becoming a scuba diver. We have promised her when she is 10 we will have her certified, and pick her up some gear (she's pretty happy with her mask, snorkel, fins and wet suit for now.) I thank God she is as comfortable in the water as I am, I hate to even imagine what the outcome would have been had she not been there. She is going to make a heck of a great dive buddy one day.

Anyways guys, you are our family here and I wanted to share what happened with you all. Jessi is very upset right now, I think it's normal when something like this happens. I've explained to her that it's ok to cry now. She did what needed to be done without fear or hesitation when it was needed of her. My intentions are to allow her to read this thread in hopes of bringing her a little comfort.

You have to be so proud. I can't imagine. You and your wife did a great job raising her, and it shows. Bless her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom