A great 3 day weekend at Peacock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidsdream

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Having been above aground since my trip to Playa/Talum in early December, My buddy Chris and I made plans to dive both Madison Blue Springs and Peacock April 8 ->10. The day before I headed down, I found out that a a big storm came through North Florida on Tuesday raising the Withlacoochee River, causing the spring to "blow out" the cave effectively closing Madison for diving.

No problem - Many things we had never done/never seen awaited us at Peacock.

We ended making one long dive on Friday, going in at Peacock 1, making a jump past the Nicholson, past the Wishbone and finally surfacing a Cisteen Sink just over 1900' from where we started. From there we made it within 100' of the end of the main P2 line, but I called dive. This dive lasted over 2 1/2 hours - did I mention my pee/relief valve fitting was out of commission for this dive - UGH. Oh and small gator watched us on the surface as we discussed relaxed, doing a little surface "deco".

Saturday we went in at Water Hole III (first for both of us). after about 1200' of swimming we made it to the Peanut line and kept on going in the Cave till Chris called the dive on thirds. Coming out of the Peanut Tunnel Chris called for a lights out drill, so we did the last 400' without lights. Our second dive was in Peacock III. We went in about 1300' before turning the dive right past Henley's Castle, a passage that goes down to something 190' deep (we didn't go there).

Today we were the first in at Orange Grove. I loved the run to Challange and back (first time for me). I was surprised at the damage to clay floor of the passage all the way back to the Challange (I am certainly not not perfect, but some of the spots were truly ugly).

Lots of new cave (for me) and super weather, made for an outstanding weekend.

Happy days, back in the holes in the ground!

One of these trips, I'll manage to dive Peacock. I can't believe I've made something like five Florida trips, and all we have done is upper Orange Grove. It was a fun dive, though.

Saturday we went in at Water Hole III .

FYI-technically it isn't an entrance point anymore with the tree that fell,but intended for emergency egress.

Didn't know that - but now that you mentioned it, how would a person know that? We actually asked Bill about the location at the shop (because neither my buddy or I were familiar with the exact logistics) and while he told us where we most likely find the line there was no mention that it was an emergency egress spot only.

Which tree are you talking about? The tree in the basin itself (not too big) or the large log that is right in the path before the you get to the hole?

FYI-technically it isn't an entrance point anymore with the tree that fell,but intended for emergency egress.

Saturday we went in at Water Hole III

That explains the black spool with orange line sort of hanging on the Gold line as I went by on the way to Olsen.

Waterhole is not generally an entry point that park management/landowner wants us to use.

Waterhole is not generally an entry point that park management/landowner wants us to use.

Fair enough, but how is a diver supposed to know that? Sounds as if their are no signs to that effect at the park? Just checked the website and it does not mention anything.

Much easier to follow a rule if you are actually aware of it.

AFAIK, and have always believe, PI, PIII, and OG are the only 3 entry points in the park. All other access points are to be used for emergency exit only. Kind of makes sense since 2 of them have steps and the third is an independent system.

Fair enough, but how is a diver supposed to know that?

It is a good question..I just have heard it as "word of mouth" - same way Olsen & Pothole aren't entry/exit points. I'll ask Ranger Rick next time I see him if its "official policy" or just something that is now urban legend...

My suspicion is that since there are no steps its not an entry point. To be used as emergency exit only. This rule is in place to prevent additional erosion, is my best guess.

Kelly...?

It is a good question..I just have heard it as "word of mouth" - same way Olsen & Pothole aren't entry/exit points. I'll ask Ranger Rick next time I see him if its "official policy" or just something that is now urban legend...

My suspicion is that since there are no steps its not an entry point. To be used as emergency exit only. This rule is in place to prevent additional erosion, is my best guess.

Kelly...?

A few years ago a tree had fallen and the park closed the sink hole. We got approval to do a dive and remove the worst of the branches so an ascent to the surface could occur. There hasn't been an reopening as far as I know,but I would concur with Jim that the park would have concern for erosion. Perhaps if something is done to mitigate all the issues,then it can have "official" entry status.

PS Didn't mean to rain on Kidsdream report and enjoyment of his dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom