Peacock springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaaron82

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’ve been doing a fair amount of cave diving at peacock springs over last several weekends. I’m truly impressed at some of the passages that I’ve gone to for the first time. That being said I went to the crossover tunnel for the first time recently, I’ve gone by it a ton and for whatever reason never took it, as the first time seeing this tunnel I was shocked at the amount of damage to the floor it literally looks like people walk this section with their fin tips. Does this smooth out after a flood ?

Yes and no. After major flooding there will be some improvement to a lot of the marks on the floor. Seems thou there are a lot of areas in most systems that look like a bull dozer went through there. Been cave diving north Florida since 1999 and sadly remember the systems before all the poor diver issues began.

I’ve been doing a fair amount of cave diving at peacock springs over last several weekends. I’m truly impressed at some of the passages that I’ve gone to for the first time. That being said I went to the crossover tunnel for the first time recently, I’ve gone by it a ton and for whatever reason never took it, as the first time seeing this tunnel I was shocked at the amount of damage to the floor it literally looks like people walk this section with their fin tips. Does this smooth out after a flood ?
Sadly not. When I take students there for the first time I will put my arms out and act like a fighter plane and make all sorts of ridiculous war type noises because on the Peanut side it looks like WWII bombing runs from people running reels really poorly. That room smooths over a bit and if I see really big marks I will smooth them over and pray but the inside of the tunnel doesn't get enough flow to have any real improvement, even after last years big floods. Best I saw was some areas that had filled in with silt but the clay damage is effectively permanent.
While I've only been cave diving since 2010, @DogDiver is right in that they are much worse now in the more popular passages than when I was diving and that was the beginning of some really poor divers especially with the advent of sidemount.

Amen I think that is why some of the jump arrows were removed and lines cut back to protect some of tunnels from people that should not go there orange grove tunnel also looks like people walk thru there. I also saw a instructor doing a oxtox drill in the orange grove tunnel I was returning from challenge and the place was silted out from 500 ft or so to the sign. Those drills should not be done in a small tunnel like orange grove

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom