A few questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derek S:
This was in a fresh water pool, right? I'd be willing to bet you're overweighted as it is, I doubt you're going to need another 5lbs. Give it some time and practice. Are you using an AL or SS plate?

wouldn't he only need more weight if he was in saltwater? i think you're right about the time and practice, though.

perrone, keep track of how much weight you need, and i think that you'll see it slowly, then quickly drop once you get used to the rig.

Ok guys. But I am going to ditch the soft weights today. Headed to the LDS to pick up some webbing, some tri-glides, and a good buckle. The shifty nature of the soft weights just bothers me. Not to mention the stupid belt is too short now that I've gained weight! :) I'll buy a variety of weights and experiment. I alslo rented a tank with about 600 psi in it to work on my weighting so I'll use that today to get things right.

PerroneFord:
I alslo rented a tank with about 600 psi in it to work on my weighting so I'll use that today to get things right.

You renting an empty tank, why? Just rent a full one and use it until it got 600psi in it and then adjust your weight. I know that what I would do. I like to see the face of tank monkey at the shop when you ask for an empty tank :wink:

Derek S:
Time and practice, you've been out of the water for nearly a decade. A scout is probably about 1lb negative ballast. It *shouldn't* be enough to throw you, but again, give it time.

Hey Perrone, I am glad to hear you are back in the water, even if just the pool for now, but I agree with Derek...time and practice are what you need. This will solve the weight issue, the cylinder placement issue, etc. Take it slowly and get lots of practice before you try to push yourself to the next level. Happy Diving! :14:

PerroneFord:
Third, I had a problem with not being able to clear. I didn't get this until I put the hood on. Not sure if it was coincidence or what. Have any of you had this problem with a hood? I just couldn't seem to get a good clear.

Are you talking about equalizing or clearing the mask? If you are having trouble equalizing you need to flood the hood. If the hood is nice and tight, sometimes it does not allow enough water in there which makes equalization very difficult.

As soon as you are in a couple of feet of water, slighty pull each side of the hood from your face (close to your ears) to allow water to get inside the hood. That should solve your problem :)

PerroneFord:
LOL! That's not right. I know at least 2 DIR divers with other brands of regs! :)

The DS4 is certainly among the most popular that I see, but the Mk25 is right up there as are the ATX100s, ATX200s, and the Zeagles. Good gear is good gear.

If you compare the different Apeks first stages there is not much difference.
DS4 and ATX100 are identical from the inside. Only the outside is different, and that results in different hose routing.
The ATX200 has one advantage over ATX100: a replacable high pressure seating. If it gets scratched for some reason on a ATX100 you'll have to buy a new one, on an AXT200 you can replace one piece

Hyper-limits:
You renting an empty tank, why? Just rent a full one and use it until it got 600psi in it and then adjust your weight. I know that what I would do. I like to see the face of tank monkey at the shop when you ask for an empty tank :wink:

I spent an hour in the water yesterday. When I was done, I had over 2000psi left. I rented the empty tank Friday afternoon. Told the guy why I wanted it, he understood, drained a rental tank to 600psi, and gave it to me for free. Not all LDS's suck.

fsudiver:
Hey Perrone, I am glad to hear you are back in the water, even if just the pool for now, but I agree with Derek...time and practice are what you need. This will solve the weight issue, the cylinder placement issue, etc. Take it slowly and get lots of practice before you try to push yourself to the next level. Happy Diving! :14:

Thanks! Things went better today, and you guys were absolutely right. Far too much weight. So I went and bought some weight today, and a belt. I started with 16 pounds on the belt, and it kept me down easily with the 600psi tank. Dropped the 4 pounder off, and still stayed down easily. But was having other issues. So I decided to change tacks.

With about 400psi in the tank, I took off my BC and dumped all the air out of the wing. I estimate it was 2 pounds negative. Once that was settled, I knew I then just had to have enough weigt on to sink ME. SO I lined up 2,3,4, and 6 pounds weights on the edge of the pool. I floated for a while with no weight, then started to go get each one in turn to see which would finally sink me with my wetsuit on and nothing else. Just laying flat in the water, it took 6 pounds to finally get me to drop to where my mouth was at the water surface. I grabbed 2 more pounds and I was able to go negative.

I grabbed the BC, and let it float at the surface above 8 ft of water. I got the 8 pounds in my hands, put the reg in my mouth, and just tried to hover there in the water. I was very slightly negative. So it looks like I'll need about 6 pounds on the belt with the BC being about 2 pounds negative.

Funny when I think about it. I was wearing 14 pounds last night on the belt, when 6 looks like the correct amount! That should make it easier for me to keep my legs up! I'll try this method again with my full suit next week.

Clearing my mask is no issue at all. It's equalizing that is causing me a problem. It's not the hood. I did my session today without it. And I still had trouble. I have not had a cold, or any other ailment. Something else is going on... But I sure as heck can't go diving for real until I get this sorted out.

fasorud:
Are you talking about equalizing or clearing the mask? If you are having trouble equalizing you need to flood the hood. If the hood is nice and tight, sometimes it does not allow enough water in there which makes equalization very difficult.

As soon as you are in a couple of feet of water, slighty pull each side of the hood from your face (close to your ears) to allow water to get inside the hood. That should solve your problem :)

PerroneFord:
Quite true. However this gentleman is a cave diver, and from what I understand, a fairly good one at that. I also checked myself against my DIR books and videos and I knew I was pretty close.

One other thing was interesting. I had been worried a 24" SPG hose would be too short with singles. I'm about 6' tall about about 230-235 pounds depending on what I have for lunch! It was just fine.

I know you'd like to have your kit set up properly for DIR at this moment, when you take the Fundies class your instructors will get you set up properly. Dan MaKay's (spelling?) book is really good at showing how, and explaining why, all of your gear is to be set up.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom