A few questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterDawg:
how does that Stanley bench compare hight wise to a picnic table? Id like to get one as I have no tailgate! I saw one at home depot that was a doly as well.

They are monsterously popular in northeast circles. I've used one once and it was convenient; but I prefer my bumper.

PerroneFord:
Original consideration were:

The DS4 was eliminated on the new handwheel that seems to be problematic

IMHO it's no brainer. Even if the plastic one does not serve you well (the opinions are split as to whether they are actually a problem) you can easily buy a replacement metal handwheel.

http://www.deepstop.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=79_33&products_id=449

I bought 2 DS4 and 2 TX 50 from them. They are based in Germany but the shipping is quick. The prices for Apeks regs are well below what I have been able to find in the US.

PerroneFord:
The DS4 was eliminated on the new handwheel that seems to be problematic

According to a dive shop I regularly visit, DS4's are still possible to get with the chrome handwheels.
I have two DS4's. They are proven, simple and work.

When I originally started this quest, the DS4 was top on my list of regs. I'd still like to have some. Maybe in the future.

Adam_sc:
IMHO it's no brainer. Even if the plastic one does not serve you well (the opinions are split as to whether they are actually a problem) you can easily buy a replacement metal handwheel.

http://www.deepstop.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=79_33&products_id=449

I bought 2 DS4 and 2 TX 50 from them. They are based in Germany but the shipping is quick. The prices for Apeks regs are well below what I have been able to find in the US.

This is an email I got from APEKS regarding the Delrin wheels:

We have had a couple of comments regarding the new plastic hand wheel, but once explained what we have done, people have accepted that it is an improvement.

The working part of the hand wheel, the part that takes the pressure is still metal, so there is absolutely no difference where safety of the fitting is concerned. We have taken the brass core of the hand wheel and firstly moulded a rigid plastic sub moulding onto it, which is mechanically retained. We have then moulded a soft rubberised plastic over the rigid moulding to give excellent grip on the hand wheel in use. This was all done at great expense and we now have to carry out three operations to produce the hand wheel, so cost savings to us don’t really exist. We have done this to improve the product for the user, you only need to try the product to see that it is much better to use than the full metal hand wheel.

We realise that using plastic may have given the perception of cheapening the hand wheel, but just consider how long yoke clamp screws have had plastic mouldings onto a metal screw and this proves it is a sound design concept.

We know perception is important even if it is unfounded and we have discussed making the metal hand wheel available if required, but we feel that people would be missing out on a better product.

Regards

Gill Hook
Technical/Customer Service
Apeks Marine Equipment Ltd

Ditto on the deepstop site. I ordered a DS4 (with delrin wheel) and a replacement metal wheel ( in case I need it ) and i paid $164 shipped (for both items) which I thought was a steal :)

can't beat that! :D

oops, I missed it by one number. :)

The MK25 is what I was talking about not the MK2. Sorry 'bout that.

PerroneFord:
When I originally started this quest, the DS4 was top on my list of regs. I'd still like to have some. Maybe in the future.
Just get the DS4's. Then you will have the same regs as all the other DIR guys :wink:

LOL! That's not right. I know at least 2 DIR divers with other brands of regs! :)

The DS4 is certainly among the most popular that I see, but the Mk25 is right up there as are the ATX100s, ATX200s, and the Zeagles. Good gear is good gear.

pants!:
Just get the DS4's. Then you will have the same regs as all the other DIR guys :wink:

Interesting. I BET they've had a couple of comments on the new handwheel! As for comparing them to yoke, how many people take yokes into overhead environment where they are likely to get hit? If it was all open water we were talking about, I don' think anyone would care.

fasorud:
We have had a couple of comments regarding the new plastic hand wheel, but once explained what we have done, people have accepted that it is an improvement.

We realise that using plastic may have given the perception of cheapening the hand wheel, but just consider how long yoke clamp screws have had plastic mouldings onto a metal screw and this proves it is a sound design concept.

Regards

Gill Hook
Technical/Customer Service
Apeks Marine Equipment Ltd

MK25, being an unsealed piston, simply doesn't have the cold water reliability of the DS4. The Mk17 does, but some would say it's "untested" and none of the ScubaPro regs appear to have easily available parts and are more difficult to service. ATX100s are fine, but I hear that people don't like the doubles hose routing as much. ATX200s are just a waste of money (and I believe come with the plastic wheel anyway).

Decide what you're gonna get yet? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom