A few questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pants!:
Decide what you're gonna get yet? :)

Ummm NOPE! But people have done a great job of showing why I have narrowed my choices the way I have! And wouldn't ya know, the Zeagle has a plastic handwheel as does the DiveRite. :)

So, in other words, you're getting the DS4. :wink:

pants!:
MK25, being an unsealed piston, simply doesn't have the cold water reliability of the DS4. The Mk17 does, but some would say it's "untested" and none of the ScubaPro regs appear to have easily available parts and are more difficult to service. ATX100s are fine, but I hear that people don't like the doubles hose routing as much. ATX200s are just a waste of money (and I believe come with the plastic wheel anyway).

Decide what you're gonna get yet? :)

While I may not be out doing WKPP type of dives, I've had both of my Mk25s in low-mid 30s*F water for nearly an hour with nary a hiccup. That being said, I'll be switching to DS4s in the near future and relegating my ScubaPro stuff to either backup/drysuit inflation/deco duty. It's a parts availability/LDS issue more than anything else.

Ok, onto my next two issues! LOL!

So I stopped in the LDS today, and after some horse trading, I ended up with a AL80, a nice 7/5 Henderson hood, and a "H" Scout. Price was right so I'm happy. So I get home, rig it all up, and now have two problems:

1. If I get the tank low enough for my SPG to be near the waist D-Ring, I can't reach the stupid valve. And even when I put the tank high, reaching the valve is a BEAR. I am using a yoke (for now) but I don't think this will make anything easier when I change to DIN. Going to doubles sooner rather than later is looking good.

2. If I put my weightbelt on, the stupid thing interferes with the waist D ring. I have a soft pouch weight belt (I know I know) and I am sure that's part of the issue. Any suggestions?

I'm gonna go get in the pool and swim some of this gear. Wish me luck! I'll be back in a while to see how bad I get reamed for having these newbie questions! :)

Sounds like your HP hose is too short.

PerroneFord:
1. If I get the tank low enough for my SPG to be near the waist D-Ring, I can't reach the stupid valve. And even when I put the tank high, reaching the valve is a BEAR. I am using a yoke (for now) but I don't think this will make anything easier when I change to DIN. Going to doubles sooner rather than later is looking good.
There will be little or no difference between DIN and Yoke (Doesn't change where the knob is)

Probably bad technique. Arch your back, shrug your shoulders, look up and reach back.

jonnythan:
Sounds like your HP hose is too short.

Seems I had the tank mispositioned... I'm gonna go try it in the water now.

Well boyz... I don't know what to say.

After seven years since being in a pool, I WAS ON SCUBA again! Damn what fun! :D

The good news is that it was fun. I was able to reach the valves, but I think I had the tank too high as my head was hitting the reg/hose connections if I tried to hold my head up. The Jetfins worked fine but I think the straps are too tight. I knew the wetsuit would be fine. The hood... wow. I'll never dive without one again. It changes everything. I was able to successfully do a fin-pivot too so I didn't feel like the whole thing was a waste skill wise.

Now for the bad.

First, It's clear that I am going to need more weight. I had 14 pounds in the belt with a long sleeve 5mm shorty on. With ALL the air out of the wing, I was able to sink to 8ft. With three short puffs on the inflator, I was up. This was with a slightly overfilled Al80 tank. As that thing gets light, I am going to be floaty beyond belief. I'm thinking at LEAST another 5 pounds.

Second, I turtled once, and did a couple of headstands. For some reason, I am torquing to my right. The only imbalance I can see is that I have a scout on that side, but it shouldn't throw me like that.. it's not that heavy. God forbid I had a can light. I was able to trim out for brief periods. Get my hands out in front of me and fin. Change hand position and tilt up or down. But there was NO WAY I could keep my fins up. That is gonna take a TON of work.

Third, I had a problem with not being able to clear. I didn't get this until I put the hood on. Not sure if it was coincidence or what. Have any of you had this problem with a hood? I just couldn't seem to get a good clear.

I see why the scout and similar lights are popular. It's a small beam, but it was very effective. I kept it clipped on, and could use it easily. I don't know if that's how you're supposed to use it though.

Anyway, it was a very productive night in the pool. The gear is soaking in fresh water, and I'll get back in there tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for your support as I get back into this. :)

PerroneFord:
First, It's clear that I am going to need more weight. I had 14 pounds in the belt with a long sleeve 5mm shorty on. With ALL the air out of the wing, I was able to sink to 8ft. With three short puffs on the inflator, I was up. This was with a slightly overfilled Al80 tank. As that thing gets light, I am going to be floaty beyond belief. I'm thinking at LEAST another 5 pounds.

This was in a fresh water pool, right? I'd be willing to bet you're overweighted as it is, I doubt you're going to need another 5lbs. Give it some time and practice. Are you using an AL or SS plate?

PerroneFord:
Second, I turtled once, and did a couple of headstands. For some reason, I am torquing to my right. The only imbalance I can see is that I have a scout on that side, but it shouldn't throw me like that.. it's not that heavy. God forbid I had a can light. I was able to trim out for brief periods. Get my hands out in front of me and fin. Change hand position and tilt up or down. But there was NO WAY I could keep my fins up. That is gonna take a TON of work.

Time and practice, you've been out of the water for nearly a decade. A scout is probably about 1lb negative ballast. It *shouldn't* be enough to throw you, but again, give it time.

PerroneFord:
Third, I had a problem with not being able to clear. I didn't get this until I put the hood on. Not sure if it was coincidence or what. Have any of you had this problem with a hood? I just couldn't seem to get a good clear.

See above.

PerroneFord:
I see why the scout and similar lights are popular. It's a small beam, but it was very effective. I kept it clipped on, and could use it easily. I don't know if that's how you're supposed to use it though.

Yup, great little lights. I've got the mini's and love 'em. You keep them stowed away with the rubber straps on the harness and clipped to the d-ring. Under normal circumstances they'd only be pulled out in an emergency (primary light failure) and you'd end the dive.

PerroneFord:
Anyway, it was a very productive night in the pool. The gear is soaking in fresh water, and I'll get back in there tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for your support as I get back into this. :)

Glad to hear things are going well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom