A drag issue : to bungee wings or not to bungee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BPWs have well documented potential downsides - they float you face down, haven't you heard?

The only potential downside to bungees that I'm aware of is entanglement; so I don't use them in overhead

What are the other ones? Or are we going to go through the 'they don't fully inflate' ' they are hard to oral inflate' and 'they squeeze all the air out if you have a leak' myths again

You forgot the [/condescension] and [/derision] arguments.

Here's a News Flash Walter Cronkite: a competent diver can dive anything given to them, keep proper trim and make the gear look good. The gear never makes the diver.

However, insecure divers tend to demean others and their gear selection, citing fallacious arguments, non-existent data and mythical studies. They have a hard time seeing that their criteria for selecting gear may not be the same criteria used by others. Go figure.

Sure they can, but why dive equipment with several clear diadvantages, when other great alternatives exist.

BPWs have well documented potential downsides - they float you face down, haven't you heard?

The only potential downside I'm aware of is entanglement; so I don't use them in overhead

What are the other ones? Or are we going to go through the 'they don't fully inflate' ' they are hard to oral inflate' and 'they squeeze all the air out if you have a leak' myths again

Yes...that's exactly what we've been trying to say... they will squeeze gas out in the event of a rip/puncture of the wing, trap gas, and possibly prevent them from being inflated to their full capacity... I'm not sure how exactly you're qualifying these as myths?

Oh, and a bp/w will easily float you on your back, it does every dive for me...besides I choose my gear based on how it preforms in the water, not on the surface.

I like bungee wings, makes it easier to spot someone I don't want to be in the water with

I'll send you my dive schedule so you can stay out of the oceans when I'm diving

The only potential downside to bungees that I'm aware of is entanglement; so I don't use them in overhead
So you dive a cave wing and an OW wing? Must be nice (or not) to rebuy gear for every environment.

and your clear alternative would be?

I dive my OMS bungee bladder with wing pulled forward to help streamline (not for drag) my rig so that the distribution of air is equal between both of my sides of the wing.

IMO the new OMS wing with the bladder that goes over and under is by far the best wing there is. But then again, its my opinion and not yours. Furthermore, i plan to buy it. I think its called the Tesseract.

they will squeeze gas out in the event of a rip/puncture of the wing

THis has already been adressed in this thread

, trap gas

So they squeeze gas out AND trap gas, wow magic

and possibly prevent them from being inflated to their full capacity...

Also addressed. Only if the bungees have been (EDIT: installed incorrectly), which isn't a gear problem

Oh, and a bp/w will easily float you on your back

Sarcasm is lost on you

Last edited:
Yup, a competent diver could dive anything given to them and look like a boss, but smart diver doesn't use sub-par equipment to start with. ESPECIALLY when better equipment is easy had.

I like bungee wings, makes it easier to spot someone I don't want to be in the water with.

Oh, okay. you are an Elitist. I got it now. Sorry I thought you were just a diver.

They're great, Tortuga. So are letting regs dangle, deep air, and steels with a wetsuit.

Textbook. I love it.

Last edited:
Oh, okay. you are an Elitist. I got it now. Sorry I thought you were just a diver.

If by elitist you mean someone who wants to be good at diving, have a good time with friends, do it safely (not JUST incident free, but safe) and picks/uses the best equipment available? Ya, guilty, I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom