A drag issue : to bungee wings or not to bungee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and your clear alternative would be?

I dive my OMS bungee bladder with wing pulled forward to help streamline (not for drag) my rig so that the distribution of air is equal between both of my sides of the wing.

IMO the new OMS wing with the bladder that goes over and under is by far the best wing there is. But then again, its my opinion and not yours. Furthermore, i plan to buy it. I think its called the Tesseract.

Is it that fabulous 100lb OMS wing? :)

So you dive a cave wing and an OW wing?

Yes that's right

I also have 4 wetsuits for different water temps, is that a mistake as well?

and your clear alternative would be?

I dive my OMS bungee bladder with wing pulled forward to help streamline (not for drag) my rig so that the distribution of air is equal between both of my sides of the wing.

IMO the new OMS wing with the bladder that goes over and under is by far the best wing there is. But then again, its my opinion and not yours. Furthermore, i plan to buy it. I think its called the Tesseract.
When you've got multiple stages on one side, you WANT more air on that side of the wing...it keeps you level.

If by elitist you mean someone who wants to be good at diving, have a good time with friends, do it safely (not JUST incident free, but safe) and picks/uses the best equipment available? Ya, guilty, I guess.

I'm with "ya" until you get to the safe part and its relation to equipment. This is the only place we differ, I don't think bungee wings are unsafe...
thats the difference.

I don't have to have a DUI drysuit and scooter to feel that I'm a good diver. Nore do I have to have the top of the line regs either (in otherwords the most expensive).

Had multiple stages on one side with my bungee wing and have been level. . .

The tesseract is a 60lb wing.

Don't you guys think just about everything that can be said on this topic has been said in this thread? It has really degenerated into people on opposite sides of the fence simply baiting one another. NOBODY looks good when that happens . . . I don't care about the bungied wing side :)) ) but I do care if the other side comes off looking smug and holier-than-thou. We don't need that.

I do. I think they're ridiculous and inherently unsafe. I won't dive them or dive with people who use them. Case closed.

And I'd rather be called a jerk or elitist or a-hole then have to deal with a dead/hurt buddy because of shoddy gear choices.

THis has already been adressed in this thread

Must have missed that, could you link me to that post?

So they squeeze gas out AND trap gas, wow magic

They trap gas between the bungees but can squeeze the majority of the gas in the middle of the wing out... not sure it's magic :)

Also addressed. Only if the bungees have been installed, which isn't a gear problem

Am I missing something here, you're arguing for bungeed wings... and I'm talking about bungeed wings, of course bungees will have been installed on a bungeed wing. Also if you will read Dan Volker's post, he talks about it here. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5488557-post22.html

I don't have to have a DUI drysuit and scooter to feel that I'm a good diver. Nore do I have to have the top of the line regs either (in otherwords the most expensive).
What does that have to do with anything?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom