A drag issue : to bungee wings or not to bungee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Must have missed that, could you link me to that post?

Post #23

Am I missing something here, you're arguing for bungeed wings... and I'm talking about bungeed wings, of course bungees will have been installed on a bungeed wing

No, I'm the one missing something - I left out the word 'incorrectly' installed

is it a myth? dan pulled a corpse off the bottom and saw this first hand

Saw what?

They're great, Tortuga. So are letting regs dangle, deep air, and steels with a wetsuit

Textbook. I love it

Completely irrelavant to the discussion and by the way I don't dive steels

You know you've got nothing when you start dredging up crap from other threads

You could take that and insert it into alot of threads on SB.

Imagine what would happen if you dove a bungeed wing with a comfort harness and split fins.

Probably nothing as long as you didn't post about it.

Sooooo .. If I went for a dive with that equipment and had a great time and posted about on here, something would "happen" ?

insecure divers tend to demean others and their gear selection, citing fallacious arguments, non-existent data and mythical studies. They have a hard time seeing that their criteria for selecting gear may not be the same criteria used by others. Go figure.

I think this statement by netdoc applies to you Blackwood

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Before this starts turning into a personal pissing match, I'll remind everyone that if they wish to participate in the discussion that attacking an idea is acceptable, attacking an individual is not

Looks like it trims you out real well.

#1 - I think zip seals are stupid. They're an additional failure point. Maybe for very remote sites they're worth it, but not 99% of what I dive...

#2- I've dove with someone in a Bare drysuit multiple times. I think back zip has some downsides (less mobility, you can't unzip to do CPR at the surface, etc)., but it doesn't mean I wont dive with you.

Yes, I dive a halcyon bp/wing, tls350 with a halcyon pocket/pee valve combo, and scubapro MK25/G250 backgas regs, but realize you're stereotyping, and you're wrong.

well i apologize if I am stereotyping if that is what I am doing. Someone said they wouldn't dive with someone with bungees. I for one don't have rules like that. I like your gear choices and if I could afford them I would. IMO the gear I have although less expensive does the job well.

Probably nothing as long as you didn't post about it.

the truth behind all of this. That when you dive certain gear. NOTHING will likely happen until you post about it and people pick it apart. Meaning: you won't die.

As most on here know, I am not a fan of bungee wings...but this thread has gone beyond what benefit the discussion could have....I have no desire to make recreational divers using bungee wings with single tank 80's to feel this is in any way a dangerous choice....the vast majority of people reading this thread, WILL be diving with a single tank, and particularly if it is as light as a al 80, for all practical purposes, I'd just as happilly dive this with a backplate/harness and NO wing..the way we did back in the 70's with steel 72's. In other words, the bungee issue should be pretty irrelevant to you, beyond the look it has....if this is the fashion statmeent you want, I am totally fine with it.

If someone here is planning on diving bungee wings with heavy double steel 130's and with 2 heavy steel stages, and 7 mil wetsuit.....for you, the bungee wings will only be the beginning of the real issue :)

Regards,
DanV

Bungee wings just scream out to me that someone either doesn't know how to properly weight themselves so they're compensating by a 120# wing and then bungee'ing it up to control all that fabric -- or else they never got past the skills issue of being able to dump a non-bungee wing.

I'm not interested in the arguments about how you're going to die using one, or the unanswerable hydrodynamic question, and while the auto-deflation is a little concerning, the overriding issue is that it is a clear gear solution to a skills issue.

Sorry, but if you show up to the dive site with a bungee wing, I'm going to draw a negative impression from that. Hopefully that doesn't hurt your feelings too badly, but its not my job to agree with all your gear choices.

Bungee wings just scream out to me that someone either doesn't know how to properly weight themselves so they're compensating by a 120# wing and then bungee'ing it up to control all that fabric -- or else they never got past the skills issue of being able to dump a non-bungee wing....

That's just another straw man, with exaggeration to boot. The debate is bungee vs non-bungee, so how is the size of the wing or weighting relevant?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom