A drag issue : to bungee wings or not to bungee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do. I think they're ridiculous and inherently unsafe. I won't dive them or dive with people who use them. Case closed.

And I'd rather be called a jerk or elitist or a-hole then have to deal with a dead/hurt buddy because of shoddy gear choices.

To assume that something is unsafe because it isn't good for caves IS elitist. You calling something shoddy to defend your position reinforces that elitist attitude. I didn't know that I had to make gear choices based on other peoples conclusions, right or wrong.

I think its even worse in OW than it is in caves, actually.

Read: OMS Buoyancy Control Systems - Buoyancy Compensator ( BC's ) http://www.OMSdive.com

POWER DEFLATION. This is my biggest issue. It power deflates. That's a real hoot when an opv or inflater hose breaks/ comes off.

Its a silly product that solves nothing. It looks techy though, thats for sure. I'm not sure why everyone uses "elitist" like some kind of weapon on here. It doesn't hurt my feeling or anything. The negatives of these contraptions are well established, and the perceived "benefits" are outweighed by the problems encountered from them.

What does that have to do with anything?

Well my point is that I dive a Bare drysuit. The next thing you guys will likely say that it is going to kill me due to the fact that it is not the best equipment on the market. Maybe I may perish because of the lack of zip-seals.

I see your theory as to why they could be dangerous but they don't work that way in reality.

I noticed that my wing was trapping air when I wrapped the bungees all the way around. This was definitely not cool for me. I found that pulling the wing forward from the eyelits is the best way.

Anyway, I know I won't change your mind this way on the internet but I do believe that if you dove with me forgetting about my gear configuration, you would be okay to dive with me a second time. thats all.

I think its silly to poo poo something because it doesn't work for you. Actually... for some of the situations I dive in. It works quite well. My diving may not be conventional, but none the less... Its using dive gear anyone can buy.

Attachments

• me on Moon Reef.jpg
    me on Moon Reef.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 116
I think its silly to poo poo something because it doesn't work for you. Actually... for some of the situations I dive in. It works quite well. My diving is less than conventional, but none the less... Its using dive gear anyone can buy.
Looks like it trims you out real well.

Well my point is that I dive a Bare drysuit. The next thing you guys will likely say that it is going to kill me due to the fact that it is not the best equipment on the market. Maybe I may perish because of the lack of zip-seals.

I see your theory as to why they could be dangerous but they don't work that way in reality.

I noticed that my wing was trapping air when I wrapped the bungees all the way around. This was definitely not cool for me. I found that pulling the wing forward from the eyelits is the best way.

Anyway, I know I won't change your mind this way on the internet but I do believe that if you dove with me forgetting about my gear configuration, you would be okay to dive with me a second time. thats all.
#1 - I think zip seals are stupid. They're an additional failure point. Maybe for very remote sites they're worth it, but not 99% of what I dive...

#2- I've dove with someone in a Bare drysuit multiple times. I think back zip has some downsides (less mobility, you can't unzip to do CPR at the surface, etc)., but it doesn't mean I wont dive with you.

Yes, I dive a halcyon bp/wing, tls350 with a halcyon pocket/pee valve combo, and scubapro MK25/G250 backgas regs, but realize you're stereotyping, and you're wrong.

Garth, I think you might have misunderstood me. There is plenty of gear that is functionally great, compared to gear that is not functionally great. Brand doesn't matter, design does.

What I take opposition to is equipment that sacrifices safety for some perceived benefit.

You forgot the [/condescension] and [/derision] arguments.

Here's a News Flash Walter Cronkite: a competent diver can dive anything given to them, keep proper trim and make the gear look good. The gear never makes the diver.

However, insecure divers tend to demean others and their gear selection, citing fallacious arguments, non-existent data and mythical studies. They have a hard time seeing that their criteria for selecting gear may not be the same criteria used by others. Go figure.

You could take that and insert it into alot of threads on SB.

Imagine what would happen if you dove a bungeed wing with a comfort harness and split fins.

Looks like it trims you out real well.

I can't tell if this is more elitist crap sarcasm, or what. I was working, not just diving for fun. Working dives aren't about trim, but rather being overweighted (as recreational divers would say) and staying on the bottom. Diving is more than just what YOU envision it to be... But whatever. :wink:

Imagine what would happen if you dove a bungeed wing with a comfort harness and split fins.

Probably nothing as long as you didn't post about it.

If by elitist you mean someone who wants to be good at diving, have a good time with friends, do it safely (not JUST incident free, but safe) and picks/uses the best equipment available?

No it means this:

They're great, Tortuga. So are letting regs dangle, deep air, and steels with a wetsuit

I like bungee wings, makes it easier to spot someone I don't want to be in the water with.

I prefer to dive with people who see bungee wings for what they are.

I won't dive them or dive with people who use them. Case closed

I'd rather be called a jerk or elitist or a-hole

mission-accomplished-banner.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom