A drag issue : to bungee wings or not to bungee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's the point of wind tunnel testing a wing on it's own anyway, without a diver and all the other gear it gets strapped to?
Faux science DEMANDS a victim man! You have to wonder why they are pushing it so hard?

It's the cyber diver mentality at work: "I have never dove one, but my opinion must be right!"

Not to pick on you particularly DD - but if bungeed wings do indeed create more drag, so what? It's not like doubles and multiple stages are exactly streamlined in the first place...

What's the point of wind tunnel testing a wing on it's own anyway, without a diver and all the other gear it gets strapped to?

And as for the comment about the DR wing's "almost hydrodynamic behavior such that the wings probably generate lift when there is current flow across them" 1. rofl and 2. who would want a wing that generated variable lift according to the current?

Haven't you ever seen Flying Fish and thought..Wow. :)

DanV

Faux science DEMANDS a victim man! You have to wonder why they are pushing it so hard?

It's the cyber diver mentality at work: "I have never dove one, but my opinion must be right!"

OK then...... Let's "turn this" to something that could be better...

How about "Eagle Z1 Wings of Death" ....there is lots of great material that could be immediately re-purposed.... :)

DanV

Are you suggesting that they use DR wings? :D
I can imagine Lamar Hires wearing DR variable lift wings, and the new Attack model Force Fins with the tan delta nuclear thrusters :)

DanV

p.s.

Although, someone really should photoshop some DR wings onto a Flying Fish... :)

Most BCD wings cause massive drag as they flap around, and these will snag on obstacles when diving in wreck and through caves. All the Eagle Z1 models have elastic wing retractors built into the BCD. This simple low drag device prevents trapped air, and always keeps the wings in tight to your body with nothing exposed to snag in a wreck or cave

Eagle Z1's rule! FACT.

I use that same logic when I decide not to touch a hot stove. Sometimes we don't need to repeat mistakes that well established divers have already made, documented, and given alternatives which work great.

A bungee wing has no advantages when there are alternatives out there, has well documented potential downsides, and really serves no purpose.

You forgot the [/condescension] and [/derision] arguments.

Here's a News Flash Walter Cronkite: a competent diver can dive anything given to them, keep proper trim and make the gear look good. The gear never makes the diver.

However, insecure divers tend to demean others and their gear selection, citing fallacious arguments, non-existent data and mythical studies. They have a hard time seeing that their criteria for selecting gear may not be the same criteria used by others. Go figure.

Yup, a competent diver could dive anything given to them and look like a boss, but smart diver doesn't use sub-par equipment to start with. ESPECIALLY when better equipment is easy had.

I like bungee wings, makes it easier to spot someone I don't want to be in the water with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom