A drag issue : to bungee wings or not to bungee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Threads like this usually suck for me. I really get to feeling depressed, because I've been using the same OMS bungee wing for 10 years and it hasn't killed me yet. I think I'm being left out or discriminated against. I have an idea....I'll adopt them all. Everybody who has a bungee wing should send it to me. I promise I'll give it a good home.

This has just been a day of bad news. After reading all this info I now realize that all the years I've been working in the water, using my 94lb bungee wing with a single al80, I've been doing it wrong. I don't know what to do anymore.

I forgot to mention the problem my bungee wing solves. It doesn't get bit, pulled, or grabbed in any way. That's exactly what happened when the dolphins, sea lions, and penguins saw my rec wing. The bungee wing keeps animals from screwing with me.

Last edited:
More confession, I suppose. I take it that you have never dove a bungeed wing. Yet you're such an expert on them. Of course you won't understand a lot about the stability mentioned several times if you have never experienced it. 'Nuff said.

Reminds me of a dutch sailing proverb I heard recently: "The best helmsmen stand on shore" i.e. usually the fiercest and most opinionated critics are those with no first hand experience. It's always easy to criticize something in theory without ever trying it.

Or there's always the classic 'don't knock it till you try it!'

Personally I've never tried a bungee wing myself and have no idea how well they work. But unless someone has tried one and has the personal experience to back it up, I think it's pretty immature to completely put it down. As others have said, I'm not talking about oversized wings or other issues but the bungees themselves on a properly sized wing.

Maybe I just don't get the utter obsession some people have with certain pieces of equipment. I'm all for proper skill and training and wish people would focus more on that instead of getting so worked up about certain gear selection.

Who knows, I'm still a new diver without much experience but that's my observation so far from reading the thread. Plus I'm a gadget guy too and sometimes half the fun is trying new things! After all, how would we ever come up with new and better ways of doing anything if we were afraid to ever deviate from the 'accepted' standards?

im new here. I recently bought and tried the OMS 45lbs bungee with alu backplate. I liked it as it was stable for me in the water and moving was very easy. ONe thing that i notice was air was trapped and i need to be in vertical position before i can purge the air out of the bc. other than that all is well.

im new here. I recently bought and tried the OMS 45lbs bungee with alu backplate.... ONe thing that i notice was air was trapped and i need to be in vertical position before i can purge the air out of the bc. other than that all is well.

Well, that's a pretty big issue IMO, and one of the chief complaints about bungied wings.

But unless someone has tried one and has the personal experience to back it up, I think it's pretty immature to completely put it down.
Welcome to the Interwebz. :D

21 pages and what have we really learned here???

GOD FORBID IF YOU EVER BREAK TRIM
GOD FORBID IF YOU EVER DIVE FOR FUN THE OF IT

It seems the more I read on this board that some are SO OBSESSED with striving for this "ZEN" state of "PERFECTION" and forcing it on others, they have lost all sight of the original idea of diving. FUN!....:confused: I suspect those divers with the elitist mentality carry that in every aspect of life and turn their nose up at anyone they get the opportunity to.

:shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

For all those with that "I wont dive with you mentality, or your gear sucks, pompous attitudes", good riddance.... I would gladly choose friends/buddies with open minds and positive attitudes. I find them to be much more humorous and fun to be around anyway. Nobody likes to be around a negative NANCY or a buzzkill BETTY...... I'll survive just fine NOT doing it YOUR way, MY way has worked perfectly for me because I am SMART enough to analyze my own choices and risks associated with them....

For all of those that posted real life experiences, thank you....
For all of those that spout regurgitated non experiences..... no comment.....:popcorn:

It seems the more I read on this board that some are SO OBSESSED with striving for this "ZEN" state of "PERFECTION" and forcing it on others, they have lost all sight of the original idea of diving. FUN!....:confused: I suspect those divers with the elitist mentality carry that in every aspect of life and turn their nose up at anyone they get the opportunity to.

I think for many of the participants in this thread regardless of position, arguing on the Internet is as much fun as diving (or at least the next best thing between dive days). Try not to let it get under your skin :wink:

21 pages and what have we really learned here???

For all those with that "I wont dive with you mentality, or your gear sucks, pompous attitudes", good riddance.... I would gladly choose friends/buddies with open minds and positive attitudes. I find them to be much more humorous and fun to be around anyway. Nobody likes to be around a negative NANCY or a buzzkill BETTY...... I'll survive just fine NOT doing it YOUR way, MY way has worked perfectly for me because I am SMART enough to analyze my own choices and risks associated with them....

For all of those that posted real life experiences, thank you....
For all of those that spout regurgitated non experiences..... no comment.....:popcorn:

I'm not trying to be inflammatory.

Few, in reality probably no one, who has participated in this thread would ever try to force you or anyone else to dive "their" way.

They have no means to force anyone to do anything.

I know a lot of GUE trained, DIR proponents.

Without exception I have never seen one of these divers "force" their opinions or diving philosophy on anybody. Most are very generous if asked, but they tend stick to their team, and focus on *their* diving.

Every diver makes choices about gear, protocols and teammates.

There's a huge difference between "forcing" and simply declining to dive with a particular diver.

Dive safe and Dive anyway you choose, I can assure you little sleep will be lost by those who have made other choices.

Tobin

Some of it is good for a chuckle, some of it it moderately retarded. Not that it gets under ones skin, but in hopes of reading/learning something of actual value.... Meh'..... we shall see.

Cool hardware, I think your posts seemed well presented, well thought out, and not biased as to what is write or wrong for everyone.

An implication in your post that your idea of "fun" is the idea of "fun."

Maybe some people get a kick out (i.e. fun) of doing things a certain way or doing things well (in their minds).

I personally don't know anyone who both dives and doesn't have fun while diving. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom