A drag issue : to bungee wings or not to bungee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Documented Advantages:
  • Ultra stable (compared to a non-bungeed wing)

• shenanigans.

[*]Deflation is easy!

shenanigans.

[*]Wonderful profile

shenanigans.

[*]Keeps elitist divers from ruining your dive by tagging along! :mooner:

and now we arrive at the truth.

so bungee wings exist to prove that you're not going to let a certain group of florida cave divers tell you how to dive...

If you dont want the bungee on, take it off. You might be adding more weight to drop no biggie. I dont like the way it scrunches up the lower dump valve but reach back and pull it out and all is good. Tacoing around the wing cant happen if the 4 corners are tabbed at the backplate.

shenanigans.

shenanigans.

shenanigans.

and now we arrive at the truth.

so bungee wings exist to prove that you're not going to let a certain group of florida cave divers tell you how to dive...

bingo

...was his name-o

I think you mean "bungee wings prove that a certain group of florida cave divers exist to tell you how to dive". And if I was diving florida caves, I'd listen to them; but I'm not

Anyway, back on topic: Reynolds number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually even the cavedivers chimeing in have had different opinions on this. I only speak of how I dive and what works the best for me. Opinions are like...well you know.:mooner:

Just to ask Tobin (or anyone) .. the Knighthawk has a bungee wing (although differing in execution to the ones referenced, the wing is kinda wide and the outer edge has loops that is bungeed back underneath so the wing is folded lengthwise with no bungee showing ) leaving no shock cords to dimple the wing and does not start to affect oral inflation until you get it over half inflated and it does have a very narrow profile .. total lift I think is 42lbs, that's a lot for a single tank .. I wonder if they did that much lift to allow doubles / because it's a solution to having one wing do both tasks? (you can find old pics of NASA water training tank safety divers using it that way)

I can say this as fact. I have never seen a diver with a bungee wing that had good trim. Now I will say I have only seen about 10 or 12 divers in the water using one but still.

Agree! I don't see very many of them but everyone I see diving a bungie wing has awful form and technique in the water: knees down, fins down, head wheelied up, wing half or more inflated at the end of the dive, blech. I'm not sure if the bad divers buy bungied wings or if the bungied wings make poor divers but its scary consistent.

I don't see very many of them but everyone I see diving a bungie wing has awful form and technique in the water: knees down, fins down, head wheelied up, wing half or more inflated at the end of the dive, blech. I'm not sure if the bad divers buy bungied wings or if the bungied wings make poor divers but its scary consistent.

Here's a few photos of an AOW student with about 40 dives, mostly on a 30# Eclipse. These pix are from his 3rd & 4th dives in doubles I think (he was also doing Twinset course as well as AOW). He's a pretty new diver and very new to doubles so his trim isn't pefect but I don't think it's awful either. He commented several times that he was surprised how much more stable the twins were compared to his Eclipse

Attachments

• IMG_2274.jpg
    IMG_2274.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2284.jpg
    IMG_2284.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2207.jpg
    IMG_2207.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2222.jpg
    IMG_2222.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 76
He commented several times that he was surprised how much more stable the twins were compared to his Eclipse

Doubles are *always* more stable. There's a lot more mass than any single tank and the polar moment of inertia is greater too.

Hate to break it to ya but that has nothing to do with bungees or no bungees.

Tobin

Hate to break it to ya but that has nothing to do with bungees or no bungees

Obviously an AOW student whose only doubles experience was a handful of dives on a bungee wing wouldn't be in a position to make that comparison

The point I was addressing was not that but rather the one that rjack & jtivat raised and I quoted - that the bungee divers they've seen all had terrible trim. If a guy with 40-odd dives can get reasonable trim on his 2nd or 3rd doubles dive then I don't think we can blame poor trim on the bungees either

As to whether bungee wings are more stable than non-bungee wings, as I mentioned earlier in the thread I've used non-bungee wings of various sizes and designs, and I find the OMS bungee wings to be noticably more stable. Netdoc said pretty much the same thing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom