A drag issue : to bungee wings or not to bungee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya, I see it on OMS's website. Cool, they solved ONE of the (apparently imaginary) problems with bungee wings.

All the issues were solved a long time ago, though. A wing was sold without bungees on them. Bingo.

Agreed. A good reason not to use a DS as redundant buoyancy

I drysuit will work fine even with big steel tanks and a deco bottles I have tested mine. You do need good trim however.

[*]Wonderful profile

I can say this as fact. I have never seen a diver with a bungee wing that had good trim. Now I will say I have only seen about 10 or 12 divers in the water using one but still.

Tortuga, a DS is more great (since I used less great, before) than dual bladders, though.

I just wanted to throw that in there so it didn't look like I agreed with you on something :wink:

have you ever done a dive using your drysuit as the only form of bouyancy control?

but really? did you ever use only the drysuit?

not fun, and talk about not safe...

I've deco'd using just a drysuit and exited a cave using just a drysuit. I don't make a habit of it, though. I admit its not all rainbows and unicorns, but its not horrible, either. Its even better with a thicker undergarment.

I'd rather do that any day of the week then dive a dual bladder wing, though.

Are you speaking from personal experience? At what depth do you find it difficult to exhale?

I've done oral inflation of a bungied wing at 50m. I've also done oral infation of a different unbungied wing at the same depth. The latter was easier to inflate.

I guess to be rigorous, I should have removed the bungies from the bungied wing....

Bottom line is that it's pure opinion - I wouldn't dive one, I think they are POS. If nothing else, they look ugly.

That doesn't mean that they are wrong. Just wrong for me.

I have a Rec wing that stays bungeed always. Pretty tight too. Not being able to orally inflate is hogwash. And if the issue of bladder or valve failure occurs you can always cut the bungee loose. I dont swim it with doubles but with a single tank the cells deflate as needed when bungeed. The drag isssue is entertaining for discusion but means nothing to me. Drysuits cause drag as well but people still dive em. Twin cylinders lay on the cells and help them deflate, a single bottle in the middle will cause too much air to remain and affect submersing with ugly results.

I've deco'd using just a drysuit and exited a cave using just a drysuit. I don't make a habit of it, though. I admit its not all rainbows and unicorns, but its not horrible, either. Its even better with a thicker undergarment.

I'd rather do that any day of the week then dive a dual bladder wing, though.

That's been my experience. I'd rather have a working wing, but it's quite possible to manage a controlled ascent with a Drysuit.

The key, as I'm sure you know, starts with proper weighting.

A diver overweighted so as to require a 94 pounder stands little chance of using their drysuit for buoyancy.

Tobin

I just wanted to throw that in there so it didn't look like I agreed with you on something :wink:

Indeed, then we'd have nothing to argue about

Limit the excess lift, and you limit the risk of insufficient time to fix the runaway inflation problem.

I meant if the problem had been a stuck inflator rather than fully inflating your wing (blow and go) in the first place, then the timing wouldn't have been so critical

in some instances, when the diver really needed the ridiculous amounts of lift these monster wings could deliver, the bungee mechanism "could" prevent the wings from filling,

Do tell. I can't say I've ever needed anywhere near the ridiculous amount of lift my monster wing can deliver, but I can orally inflate it fully on dry land so I'm having trouble understanding how my tanks couldn't do the same at depth, unless I was critically low on pressure

A diver overweighted so as to require a 94 pounder stands little chance of using their drysuit for buoyancy.

You're falsely assuming anyone actually requires such a large wing. As one poster here has said, he dives that with a 3mm shorty and al80s. Why? I have no idea.

Do tell. I can't say I've ever needed anywhere near the ridiculous amount of lift my monster wing can deliver, but I can orally inflate it fully on dry land so I'm having trouble understanding how my tanks couldn't do the same at depth, unless I was critically low on pressure

If you saw first hand as we have, how the bungees "can" cause the dump valve to let go long before full inflation, then this would mean something to you for diving heavy doubles and heavy stages..Obviously this does not happen most of the time, or we would hear about it weekly.

Again, for single tank divers in warm water, there really is no function issue to argue about..if you like the bungee fashion statement for recreational diving, that's fine by me.....I only waded in for the fun of the old "BWOD" thread, and the largely useless discussion it could allow :)

Regards,
DanV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom