Dive Caddy Review for Tech Diving- Picture Intensive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How long are your fins?

Fully loaded how long is the entire bag? Some of the place I fly into are pretty firm about the 22" max. length.

Also, since I don't bring a wetsuit, how protected would the left side panel be for other gear. Like video cameras in soft packs etc. Assuming that it was always with me and not checked.

thx,
Hi DiverSteve,

Great questions.

Re: fin length vs. published carryon limits.

The key with the bag system is that it's a soft, compression bag that will allow your gear to mould and flex to fit into the overhead compartment of commercial airliners. The fin tips can even curve a small amount, if needed, to fit inside the metal cages at check-in if you are ever challenged. (Feel free to view our actual airport videos on our website: divecaddy.net/index-7.html)

I have personally logged over 40 flights with prototype and production DiveCaddy systems and have only been stopped for TSA inspection a few times. Usually, the TSA techs are just curious as they have not seen this type of bag and it looks very technical. Also, when accompanied by other obvious looking dive gear (fins, mask, etc.) the TSA techs recognize the 1st stage and reg hardware. By design, the whole inspection process only takes a minute or two because of the way the bag rolls out and buttons back up so easily.

Of the 40+ flights, I have never had an issue getting onto a plane with a DiveCaddy. I have chosen to gate-check, checking the bag at the gate, a few times which contrary to popular belief is completely different than checking a bag when you first come into the airport. When you gate check is not weighed and goes on with the car seats, strollers and wheelchairs, etc., in a different part of the cargo hold away from the other luggage. By gate checking you also eliminate the opportunity for the rouge airline employee to pilfer or break your gear or be charged checked bag fees. You also get your gear as you exit the plane. "Last on, first off".

Re: camera soft packs

I would experiment with the bag to see what works for you and your gear. Just remember, the left side (where the wetsuit usually goes) is also the padding for the bag in the backpack configuration. Lumpy, rigid items in that location may be uncomfortable. Depending upon the size of your camera system, we usually treat our SLR's and lenses as our "Personal item" and slide them under the seat in front of us and put the DiveCaddy in the overhead. Most of the time there is extra room in the overhead to slip the camera case in after everyone has settled on the plane.

Please feel free to post, email or call our offices anytime; we're here to help you protect your gear and save money.

(I attached a couple images to give you an idea what the TSA techs are seeing with the X-Ray)

Happy travels,

Chad
DiveCaddy

Attachments

• DSC_3617.jpg
    DSC_3617.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 509
  • DSC_3615.jpg
    DSC_3615.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 473
I really like the idea of carrying on my most important items. For those of you who are actually using this system, I have a few questions.

1. What do you do with stuff you can't take on-board, that TSA may consider a weapon? (ie dive knife). I'm assuming that you put that in checked luggage. So you are now checking a bag that can handle 50lb max. So why not just put the bulky, inexpensive stuff in the checked bag so you don't have to lug it around, up to the 50 lb limit?

2. Most of us carry expensive camera equipment when traveling. Further, to support and download the photos, as well as stay in touch, what about a laptop? So now I am carrying the Divecaddy, rolling a laptop "personal item" and have a checked bag for the sharp stuff. 3 bags.

I want to like this system, but it ultimately seems LESS efficient.

What are your thoughts?

I really like the idea of carrying on my most important items. For those of you who are actually using this system, I have a few questions.

1. What do you do with stuff you can't take on-board, that TSA may consider a weapon? (ie dive knife). I'm assuming that you put that in checked luggage. So you are now checking a bag that can handle 50lb max. So why not just put the bulky, inexpensive stuff in the checked bag so you don't have to lug it around, up to the 50 lb limit?

2. Most of us carry expensive camera equipment when traveling. Further, to support and download the photos, as well as stay in touch, what about a laptop? So now I am carrying the Divecaddy, rolling a laptop "personal item" and have a checked bag for the sharp stuff. 3 bags.

What are your thoughts?

I saw the divecaddy demonstration at the last Long Beach Scuba Show. I watched carefully and thought about what would go where. I also carry a compact photo outfit w/ laptop that I use diving and topside. As a BP&W diver I also had thoughts about possible bladder pinches. I agree that it is ultimately less efficient, definately more restrictive and far more likely to be suspected for inspection by TSA.
My wife and I generally travel and dive together.
I've found that a maxi sized roller carry-on will fit both of our Regs, PDCs, Masks, snorkels and my camera outfit. My Laptop bag is large and has room to spare yet fits under the seat. We do check 1 bag each that are maxed out on weight at 50 lbs.
One is our BCDs, knives, fins and wetsuits. The other bag is our clothes and the cosmetics. My wifes carry-on is always for reserve capacity on the way home.
There have been times at the airport that a bag was overweight but as soon as you attempt to open it up to transfer to a lighter bag they tell you to skip it.
One trick I've found is always stay for TSA inspection of your checked bags to answer any questions and make sure the bag is closed up and locked. They will expidite your bags through the scanner if you tell them you are waiting. I found this out because whenever legally possible I travel with a firearm which needs to be checked and requires special handling at the airport. Nothing makes your dive gear safer than packing a handgun with it if you can. Don't try this if you can't legally carry a firearm in both your departure and arrival destination.

What are your thoughts?

To answer you questions.
1. Yes, Dive knives, scissors or anything sharp must go in your checked luggage. I have had no problem carrying flash lights, small reel, DAN signaling device in my DiveCaddy. I also carry my Olympus camera and housing in the turtle pack wrapped in a small micro fiber towel.
2. I also carry on a over the shoulder bag with personal items, wallet, passport, laptop, power cord, Ipod and Headphones. Yes it leads to three bags, there is no way of getting around that with the sharp items. If you left the knife behind you could get away without checking any thing by taking a minimum of clothing and packing it into the DiveCaddy.

What it leads to is you will have less valuable items in that checked bag. And if it doesn't show up at you destination, you can still go diving, because you have all your dive equipment with you in your DiveCaddy.

If you want to learn more and or purchase a DiveCaddy, please contact me.
Safe Diving,
Brad bbdm120@aol.com

If you want to learn more and or purchase a DiveCaddy, please contact me.
Safe Diving,
Brad bbdm120@aol.com
You know, I have to admit that this approach of yours is effective. You do take everyone opportunity to funnel people to your site and hijack threads mentioning other suppliers. In my short time on this board you've done a great job in ensuring I never purchase from you :)

if you pack a pair of shears instead of a knife, you wouldn't have to check anything in, and you'd still have a cutting tool for diving. Can't guarantee that it wont be confiscated but it sure beats packing a knife that will get seized.

As mentioned above by RAWalker, you can pack a pistol (like a cheap $30 starter pistol used for horse races) and check it in. However, this might be a pain as you have to make sure it's legal not only from your departure and arrival locations but also in between where you change planes.

I've posted on a few other threads about this item. I bought a Dive Caddy, and have been very happy with it for Rec purposes. I've had no problem with fitting a full 3mm suit. If you dive dry for Tec, you would likely have to/want to add a bag.

Re: shears--I packed a checked bag as well for a week-long trip to Cozumel, and accidently left my shears in my BC. Carried them on without incident, and didn't discover them until I unpacked. YMMV.

Off-Topic: I bought from Brad and had a good experience. I have also bought from other vendors mentioned in this thread and also have had good experiences. I found his post above useful info, anyhow.

Northwoodsdiver

Who is the manufactuer of your backplate and do you know how wide it is? I have an OMS Aluminum back plate and measures 15 5/8 inches per OMS, and divecaddy's website states it can handle a 14 inch backplate. I am just trying to see if my bp will fit and if I might beable to squeeze a 90lb bladder with an IQ comfo pack in there?

Hi DiverSteve,

Great questions.

Re: fin length vs. published carryon limits.

The key with the bag system is that it's a soft, compression bag that will allow your gear to mould and flex to fit into the overhead compartment of commercial airliners. The fin tips can even curve a small amount, if needed, to fit inside the metal cages at check-in if you are ever challenged. (Feel free to view our actual airport videos on our website: divecaddy.net/index-7.html)

I have personally logged over 40 flights with prototype and production DiveCaddy systems and have only been stopped for TSA inspection a few times. Usually, the TSA techs are just curious as they have not seen this type of bag and it looks very technical. Also, when accompanied by other obvious looking dive gear (fins, mask, etc.) the TSA techs recognize the 1st stage and reg hardware. By design, the whole inspection process only takes a minute or two because of the way the bag rolls out and buttons back up so easily.

Of the 40+ flights, I have never had an issue getting onto a plane with a DiveCaddy. I have chosen to gate-check, checking the bag at the gate, a few times which contrary to popular belief is completely different than checking a bag when you first come into the airport. When you gate check is not weighed and goes on with the car seats, strollers and wheelchairs, etc., in a different part of the cargo hold away from the other luggage. By gate checking you also eliminate the opportunity for the rouge airline employee to pilfer or break your gear or be charged checked bag fees. You also get your gear as you exit the plane. "Last on, first off".

Re: camera soft packs

I would experiment with the bag to see what works for you and your gear. Just remember, the left side (where the wetsuit usually goes) is also the padding for the bag in the backpack configuration. Lumpy, rigid items in that location may be uncomfortable. Depending upon the size of your camera system, we usually treat our SLR's and lenses as our "Personal item" and slide them under the seat in front of us and put the DiveCaddy in the overhead. Most of the time there is extra room in the overhead to slip the camera case in after everyone has settled on the plane.

Please feel free to post, email or call our offices anytime; we're here to help you protect your gear and save money.

(I attached a couple images to give you an idea what the TSA techs are seeing with the X-Ray)

Happy travels,

Chad
DiveCaddy

What do you do with your dive knife when you fly, I am new to diving and just curious. I plan on flying with gear ocasionaly , we mostly cruise . THANKS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom