A diver air lifted off the coast of Galveston, Texas by US Coast Guard on July 16, 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have my dive computer with me now. I'll check it later when I'm back from work. I remembered seeing a minute or 2 left at the deepest end before ascending. Again we don't deco dive there. The captain checked his dive computer & mentioned that his dive profiles looked fine.

Pushing to the edge of NDLs while doing multiple dives daily over consecutive days should, at minimum, warrant extended "safety stops". There can be a cumulative effect that can cause profiles that look fine to become riskier as more dives are made. I don't believe the full effect of this is yet fully understood. Its similar to why tech divers recommend conservatism in how many tech dives are made in a day and how many back to back days dives are made.

The Fling does this several times every week with 20 divers on those profiles and people rarely get bent.

This was the 2nd time I saw a diver got bent while diving in Flower Garden Banks in over 12 years I've been diving there with the Fling & Spree (back when it was still operating there). I saw a diver got bent in Spree may be about 7 years ago (?) & had to be air lifted just like the diver yesterday in Fling. May be @Wookie could tell a bit more detail about the previous one.

Last edited:
I've been diving with the Fling & Spree (back when it was still operating there) for the past 10 years. I saw a diver got bent in Spree may be about 7 years ago (?) & on the Fling yesterday.
I took this when when a woman got bent on the Spree 11 years ago. (Friday, August 18, 2006 10:47 AM). But it's rare.
P8180057.JPG

Reactions: Dan
I don't have a chart in front of me, but 54 minutes at 100' on 32 nitrox has got to be a deco dive. I want to say the chart would say somewhere around 30 mins?

I don't have a chart in front of me, but 54 minutes at 100' on 32 nitrox has got to be a deco dive. I want to say the chart would say somewhere around 30 mins?

Sorry for the typo in my earlier post. I meant 54 minute of total dive time, not bottom time. I'm a recreational NDL diver. We were all NDL divers there in the Fling. I followed what the bottom time allowed by my SUUNTO D4 at the deepest one.

A friend of mine got bent out there about 10 years ago. A few days after he got back we went to an Astros game and talked about it. After that he got a lot more conservative.

Personally I have only been out there once. I prefer dives on oil platforms

The maximum depth is meaningless for non square profiles. What was your average depth? For your first dive, assuming total dive time 55 minutes, breathing your al80 down to 500psi and an sac of 0.5cfm, the average depth likely in the 45-50 range. That gives about a minute of deco on buhlman 40/80.

I reviewed my dive computer & couldn't find a button that can display the average depth. The deepest depth & total dive time are the 2 data that Fling Charter DM ask for whenever we get back on the boat. That's why I posted mine here. I reviewed my dive computer & estimated the time I spent in deepest depth to 10' above:
7/15/17
Dive 1: 90'-100' depth for 4 minutes, the rest was mostly in 70'-80' for 38 minutes.
Dive 2: 83'-93' depth for 25 minutes.
Dive 3: 70'-80' depth for 30 minutes.
Dive 4: 63'-73' depth for 45 minutes.
7/16/17
Dive 1: 94'-104' depth for 12 minutes.

I reviewed my dive computer & couldn't find a button that can display the average depth. The deepest depth & total dive time are the 2 data that Fling Charter DM ask for whenever we get back on the boat. That's why I posted mine here. I reviewed my dive computer & estimated the time I spent in deepest depth to 10' above:
7/15/17
Dive 1: 90'-100' depth for 4 minutes, the rest was mostly in 70'-80' for 38 minutes.
Dive 2: 83'-93' depth for 25 minutes.
Dive 3: 70'-80' depth for 30 minutes.
Dive 4: 63'-73' depth for 45 minutes.
7/16/17
Dive 1: 94'-104' depth for 12 minutes.
Hi @Dan_T

Can you download your dives to a computer? You could get the average dive depth that way

Reactions: Dan
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom