A depth solow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glaucus

Registered
Reaction score
Curious to know what most of you think about depth limits for solo diving. Many essay authors reccommend twice your free diving depth as the self-imposed max depth. Yet other accounts, mainly stories of technical divers at deep depths, seem to have no problem going solo even given deco, overhead and mixed gas considerations.

For myself, doing non-decompression dives, I believe right now that there is no compelling reason - other than personal preference - not to go deeper than the free diving rule. This is why: First, because of a redundant air supply large enough to get me to the surface, including safety stops, I would have no problem safely surfacing in an OOA situation. Second, in my mind, an emergency ascent doesn't necessarily have to be a swimming ascent. Dropping a weight belt or over inflating a BC is just as viable an option because it is an emergency. And third, an underwater atmosphere at fifty feet is just as liquid at one-hundred thirty - you can drown in both and the only thing that will save you is air. So refering back to the fact that solo divers keep a completely redundant air supply, there really is no reason why the surface is your only choice. (Maybe some people limit depth because they don't carry a redundant. I don't know?)

So what is your reason for choosing depth limits? What kind of diving are you doing? Are you really carrying a redundant? If not, have you practiced an emergency ascent from your self-imposed depth. And who really knows what their free diving depth is? Seriously. Am I off base in my reasoning?

I'm not brow beating my reasons on y'all, I just want know your thoughts. Who knows, you might change mine.

I guess you have to consider the reason for the limit you impose on yourself. Any rule of thumb based on how deep you can free dive apparantly is related to the backup plan of getting yourself out of trouble by way of an ESA? What about solo cave divers? Those rules of thumb always sounded like utter, complete, slap you in the face turkey dung written by dip sheet magazine writers who couldn't find their fanny with both hands. LOL you know...the people who do a few shallow easy reef dives solo and then go write a book on how to do it safely.

I'd rather relate any limits I set to the percieved risk and my plan to deal with those risks. Keep in mind that when we team dive deep we each have backups. Doing it solo cuts your backups in half unless you do something different.

But, I don't free dive any more, have no idea how deep I could if I wanted to but I don't want to so that's the end of that.

OOPS!

My depth limit for solo diving is based on the capacity of my redundant gas capacity. However, unless ther is something special at greater depths, I prefer shallower dives regardless of whether I am solo or buddied.

Seems to me that the freediving depth rule would not apply if redundant gas is available.

I suspect that those recommendations are just that, recommendations. The basis for the "twice your free diving depth" is obviously just a common sense rule of how far you're likely able to swim while holding your breath. Whether or not you choose to follow that is your own business and is subject to other considerations.

I recall the preface going into that recommendation was that solo divers should be cognizant of their realistic limits when it comes to how far one can swim (on the surface), how deep one can dive (while holding your breath), and how familiar you are with the dive site (where the entry and exit are, and the conditions at the time). Following those limits would up someone's odds of a successful experience. This is particularly relavant to people who are considering solo diving for the first time. After that, I recall the author's note that those limits may not be practical for advanced diving (cave, wrecks, and so forth).

I began a similar thread last Fall (http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=72680). There were lot's of interesting responses.

Since that time I have changed my thinking. Any dives I execute with a buddy I will now execute solo. My previous limits were not based on a comfort factor but more of an arbitrary number. Based on my belief in self reliance, I should not dive a site with a buddy if I would not dive it solo. To do so would would diminish my usefulness and safety as a buddy should I need to assist.

So for me the depth limit (solo or otherwise) is 160'. I'm an entry level tech diver using air or leaned Nitrox for back gas. I will dive no deeper until certified for trimix. I always dive doubles with isolator manifold and the applicable deco bottle (unless shallow shore diving in the winter).

--Matt

PS If you read the previous thread I had a laugh with Curt Bowen's response - 280'. "Deep" is certainly a relative term.

Glaucus:
So what is your reason for choosing depth limits?

I don't choose a depth limit. I do solo dives in double tanks and a stage (and I know how to use them -- a little detail that some solo divers tend to overlook) and I make sure that I plan gas reserves to suit all my bailout options.

The only thing I ever worry about while diving (solo or not) is getting caught up in dumped fishing gear. When I'm solo that concern sometimes keeps me from going places that I might go if I knew I had someone watching my back. That's about the only change in my behaviour that I'm aware of.

What kind of diving are you doing?

I mostly go under water and look at stuff. :)

Are you really carrying a redundant?

Ever serious solo diver does.

If not, have you practiced an emergency ascent from your self-imposed depth. And who really knows what their free diving depth is? Seriously. Am I off base in my reasoning?

I don't know. Your thinking doesn't apply to some of the dives I do so I need other thinking. If it works for you and you've practiced your bail out option (in this case flee to the surface) and it's comfortable for you then that's that. Right?

R..

I go as deep as I would with a buddy. Makes no difference to me

matt_unique:
I began a similar thread last Fall (http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=72680). There were lot's of interesting responses.

... Based on my belief in self reliance, I should not dive a site with a buddy if I would not dive it solo. To do so would would diminish my usefulness and safety as a buddy should I need to assist. ... .

Matt,
It think your statement here is spot on. I've had many dives early in my earlier years in the sport with divers whom I should have been paid for baby sitting. In essence I was already solo.

Seems most replies thus far advocate a knowledge of your own limits, equipment and an excellent skills base. But room for movement is given and encouraged...see I knew solo divers were special :wink:

Thanks for the link Matt. I'll be reading it today.

I use the twice free diving depth rule only when I dive without redundancy which is often or even usually. The surface then satisfies my redundant air supply. When I dive solo using various other configurations I have at my disposal that supply redundancy then I will dive as deep as I like. At my current state of conditioning I consider approx 60 feet my max solo ---no redundancy---depth. This is due to my becoming older and less fit. While under good conditions I can easily exceed 30 feet free diving I feel that is a good cuttoff for me. In past years I have been able to free dive in 80 feet of water and spear a fish and return to the surface, that, thanks to father time is no longer remotely within my capability.
My main solo rig is not fully redundant but I feel comfortable with it to at least 130 feet, non isolated doubles with dual regulators. I also dive a Y valve single rig again with dual regs and I have run independendent 72s with seperate regs. I rely on the 1/3 rule in these configurations. I am not against a poney and I am still thinking on one. I prefer simplicity, the less I carry, the better and the less that can break. I generally dive with vintage gear, most of it older than me and certainly older than most of you guys as well. I maintain it, I trust it, it has stood the test of time.

Is anyone else around here developing a paranoid fear of bull sharks? I think Nemrod needs a trident tipped with three sequenced 50 cal powerheads. Yeah, it is irrational, heck, since I caught several in my 16 foot family ski boat in 1970 20 miles out of Keaton Beach Fla and one bit the propeller on the Johnson 75 and another I hauled on board chased me up onto the bow--he was not a happy camper-- but I have never seen a bull while I was in the water, that is probably a good thing. N

Back
Top Bottom