A Day on Cape Ann #2

If interested, which weekends are you available?

• I'll be there on June 22-23 anyhow!

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • June 29-30

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • July 6-7

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • July 13-14

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • July 20-21

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • July 27-28

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • August 3-4

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • August 10-11

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • August 17-18

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • August 24-25

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by shellbird
I may be at Nubble Light on the 20th as well! Perhaps I'll see you there. Never been before, what is it like?

Nubble is a great dive. The entry when the tide is low is a bit of a challenge, but either get some help from your buddy [hand and hand down the rocks] or just keep the mindset of "walking on ice with ski boots". Remember, the baby mussels on the rocks make wonderful traction!

Once your in the water, it's a 10-15 ft surface swim to a decent in 25-35 feet of water. Lots of vegetation, lots of little bugs and fish. I've not headed over along the rocks on the left, but I would guess that would be a really nice area. There is also a wall on the right as well.

Remember to bring a camera, even if it's not underwater. Nubble lighthouse is the most photographed lighthouse in the nation, and for good reason! If it's a really nice day, it might be tough to get parking, so car-pool as much as possible.

When I did my AOW dives at Nubble, we had some issues with compasses, so be careful and make sure you pay attention to distinct features on the bottom so you can judge if things don't seem right [our night dive we passed perpendicular to a pipe, and on the return the compasses said we were going due south, but we passed parallel to that pipe]

Shameless Plug
Check out This Thread for my writeup of my AOW dives at Nubble!

Matt, would you have space for one more newbie on board?

Originally posted by oceancurrent
Matt, would you have space for one more newbie on board?

The only thing another person does is make the wait for a table at the seafood place longer! :)

I'm going to Cape Ann after work for a thursday night dive on the Chester Polling. Friday, I've got the day off from work, and am planning on doing South Shore dives at Gun Rock in Hull, and Sandy Beach in Cohasset. You're welcome to join us on friday if you can make it. They're both shallow beach dives, and should be pretty easy.

I've got some friends playing at a music festival in Gardner on saturday (yes Funky_Monks... another one), and plans to sleep late and nurse my hangover on sunday, so technically I don't think I'll be diving Cape Ann this weekend.

On Friday I have a 'date' with a dentist, and I don't want to miss it :) Well, I will keep my eyes open for other trips. Thanks for inviting me, though.

Originally posted by MSilvia
I've got some friends playing at a music festival in Gardner on saturday (yes Funky_Monks... another one)

Oh man... as tempting as it is, I'm not sure it'd be a good idea given I have a 7:30 AM flight on sunday! :)

Nick, in a pinch, Cape Ann Divers does shore dives @ 10:00 saturday and sunday[I think] and there are a number of clubs that have open shore dives [MetroWest meets at the Beverly Burger King @ 8:00 on saturday].

I think I will try diving with CapeAnnDivers first! Not a bad idea at all :)

It looks like we've gotten enough responses to see which weekends work best, so I took a peek at my calendar and came up with a few additional things to throw out there:

On July 20, The Great American Fish Count is being held on Cape Ann. There will hopefully be a bunch of divers participating, and I know some valuable scuba prizes have been donated. It would be nice to have a good showing from the board. Maybe we could do that and be free to dive our own plan the next day.

On the 9th, 10th, and 11th of August, I've committed to working backstage at a music festival in the Berkshires. If you aren't diving, it makes for a fun weekend... http://www.berkfest.com/
:band:

Late July and August are both fine with me. Any thoughts?

If anyone is interested, I am thinking of heading to Sheep Pond in Brewster,MA for some skill and drill (I am taking a DIR-F class in August). The pond is crystal clear and so far I have been the only diver my last three trips.

Any questions, please PM

Eric

I haven't heard lately from this thread. Is everybody still up for going to Cape Ann and/or some local ponds?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom