A day in the life!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another nice day at the office today. No students today, so I took out a boat with 8 fun divers. We weren't looking for anything too crazy, and had a request for the 2nd dive to be at Columbia Shallows. We settled on Delila for the first dive and had a great time. We had a fast boat, so were out there before anyone else, and the weather was beautiful. Had a nice 60 minutes floating along with some turtles and an octopus. Did a quick surface interval with some fruit and muffins and headed straight back in at Columbia Shallows. It was perfect! No other folks, and the sun was shinning down on the reef. There were several more turtles, a nurse shark, sting rays, etc, etc, etc..... Came to the surface 88 minutes later with 8 smiling faces.

Students tomorrow afternoon, so I'm looking forward to doing it all again with the same bunch tomorrow morning.

Sounds very relaxing. We went north and deep and into some current instead.:D So is Eva putting food onto the boats now for the SI? Previous owner didn't. All you got was water.

A nice dive at Palancar Caves this morning, followed by a second dive at Yucab/Tormentos. We dropped in at about the half way point on Yucab and within a couple of minutes along came a huge eagle ray. He was poking around in the sand and seamed fairly unfazed by us. Nice!

Spent the afternoon teaching a nitrox class, and scheduling some upcoming Navigation, Rescue, and Search & Recovery courses with some nice folks from back home. Back on the boat tomorrow with the same folks I've been with the last few days, nice people, and descent divers.

The wife is leaving tomorrow for a week, so I'm signing off now to have a glass of wine, hang out, and enjoy that aged cheddar cheese that friends brought us today from Canada. Mmmm...

Oooh, cheese and a good red wine is one of my favorite dinners! (Although I will confess to a fondness for Stilton, if you don't have ripe tomatoes to go with the cheddar . . .)

took the group to Santa Rosa wall this morning. On a nice day like today, with little current, and no one else there, it is still one of my favourite places in the world. Then we did a nice drift on Villa Blanca wall for the 2nd dive.

Back at the shop this afternoon, I did a discover for a wonderful lady in her 70s. She had some issues and some trepidation, but she worked through them, and in the end we spent 30 minutes diving in front of the shop. She seamed very happy, and grateful to be doing something so far out of her comfort zone. I really enjoyed the experience with her! You are never too old to be a beginner again! When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Santa Rosa wall is still my favorite dive in Coz.........

took the group to Santa Rosa wall this morning. On a nice day like today, with little current, and no one else there, it is still one of my favourite places in the world. Then we did a nice drift on Villa Blanca wall for the 2nd dive.

Back at the shop this afternoon, I did a discover for a wonderful lady in her 70s. She had some issues and some trepidation, but she worked through them, and in the end we spent 30 minutes diving in front of the shop. She seamed very happy, and grateful to be doing something so far out of her comfort zone. I really enjoyed the experience with her! You are never too old to be a beginner again! When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Hi Matt-I love stories like this. I am moved that she stepped into the dive world at her age-she is my new hero! It would make my dive year to dive with a person of this courage. I hope and pray I am able to blow bubbles in 20yrs-I'll be her age.
Good on ya man-this made my day!:D

What a great story! One of thing things I loved about starting diving at 52 was getting to be a complete beginner again, with all the wonder and delight of having so much ahead of me to learn.

Well, today was a bit of a lost day. It started off great with sleeping in, something I haven't had the luxury of in some time. Worked for a while this morning preparing for an upcoming course that I haven't taught before, I think it's going to be a lot of fun. Then I headed to the shop to meet up with a couple of students to start a navigation specialty course. We got through the knowledge reviews, briefed the first dive, and got our gear ready. I noticed by the buoys in front of the shop that the current had changed direction, no big deal. But when we got in it was moving fast. We were not going to accomplish any meaningful navigation tasks in that, so we called the dive and waited to see if it would calm down. It didn't. I am unfortunately unable to control nature.... yet! We'll try again tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom