A day in the life!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

168895_483871042076_613262076_6611426_5963766_n.jpg

I post this just so you know how great you got it over there. We were down in Coz for 2 weeks in dec/jan and froze. It was good to come home and have no one snicker when I wanted a jacket. I was called a wimp in Coz for not being able to handle the cold :D

Port closed again today.............. more land practice with my students for the navigation course, and an orientation to the emergency oxygen system for the rescue course. Hopefully tomorrow we can get wet.

***************** Clarification****************

There seem to be some people reading this that believe I am an american instructor from Chicago, who works at Blue Angel, named Matt Moran. Just to clarify, I am not him. I would hate to have anything I say here attributed to him.

Thanks

I've been working with a very nice couple on their navigation course for several days now. Dive number one has taken us 4 tanks (if my memory serves me well). But the proof is in the last two dives. We have had current to deal with, and a complete lack of markers for navigating with, but their squares came back within about 3 feet of the starting points. And today we did dives 2 and 3 and they nailed both the predetermined course, as well as the course where they find the headings as they find the markers. They were awesome!

Tomorrow I am starting their Rescue course, as well starting with an open water referral student. Also expecting to have a divemaster student show up to start working with me for a while. These are busy days!

Yesterday was a very productive day. My open water referral student was well prepared and did well. We got open water 1 and 2 done in the morning, then I worked with my rescue students in the afternoon. That also went well! We did some work in the pool and open water and made good progress. Tomorrow we will work on it some more.

Today I went out on the boat with my open water student and finished his open water dive numbers 3 and 4. Then went back out for a shore dive with the lady I did a discover with a few days ago. She had a great time and was much more relaxed today. We spent just short of 50 minutes diving. Eels, lobsters, lion fish etc.... Good day!

We ended the lives of 19 lionfish today! Outside of the marine park, of course.

Seems to me like you have a couple of nice lunches and dinners collected today:cheerleader:

Please keep up the good work:D

A good day yesterday. My rescue students finished up their course, woohoo! It was the last step that they needed in order to qualify for the PADI master diver rating. They have been working very hard and should be proud of everything they have accomplished. The emergency plan that they made for their rescue course is stellar. It even includes scripts for talking to emergency workers on the phone when calling for help, in english and spanish. Nice effort!

Last night we went out with a group of divers from back home, that my wife is hosting. We all decided on diner at Sorrisi, one of my absolute favourites. Mmmmm....

Now I'm just hoping my congestion will go away enough for me to go diving with a couple of new open water referral students this afternoon.

A hard afternoon today. I am battling congestion which isn't helping me any, but I was able to get through open water dive number 1. The new referral students are very nice, and working hard with a positive attitude, but are having a some struggles. I think they have fallen victim to a situation that I am starting to really dislike.

They did a pool and classroom course back in their city before coming down. It was a friday night, all day saturday, and a half day on sunday schedule. I have taught my share of those, and they are not ideal by any stretch. The problem is that when you have such a short amount of time, it is very difficult to stop the process to give extra attention to a student who is having challenges. That becomes even harder if you have many other students in the course. Apparently their course had in the neighbourhood of 20 students in it. There were three instructors, but still, that is quite an undertaking.

The problem is that there are some skills that have obviously fallen through the cracks either because they didn't have time to do them, or they struggled through it once and that was all that was required by their instructor. Now, we are needing to add more sessions so that we can learn how to do some skills in a way that is comfortable and repeatable. They will get through it, and do fine, once they have had some personal attention, and enough time to master the skills. It's unfortunate that they didn't get that in their pool sessions, and that their instructor signed them off and sent them away anyway. If we can't remove and replace a BCD in three tries today, we probably hadn't mastered it in confined water last month.

Booo!

Back
Top Bottom