A day in the life!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for your great posts! We leave in the morning or Cozumel. What kind of suit do I need to bring? shorty, 3mil, 5mil?

Thanks

I dive in a 5 mil in the winter PLUS on my last dives I broke out my 5/3 mil hooded vest b/c I was so cold on the previous trip. I was nice and toasty on both dives - Columbia Deep was 60 minutes and Yucab was 90 minutes.

Well, yesterday was a new one. Took a group of divers from the mainland along with their guide. We got about 50ft underwater and several minutes into the dive when one of the divers swam over pointing at his mask. He was calm enough, but I could see it had water in it and he was having a hard time clearing it. I offered him mine and he took it. He seemed very happy after that, however I realized that the mask he had given me in return was broken and had a steady trickle of water running in through the top skirt. I didn't think it was enough to call the dive over, so spent the next 30 minutes clearing the mask with each exhalation. We saw a shark, and my friend the large grouper. Just as people started getting low on air the mask suddenly got worse. We all headed to our safety stop with me only able to see fuzzy blobs through the flooded mask. I was able to clear a few inches at the top of the mask a few times to check on people, safety stop time, and check in with the mainland guide who was helping keep an eye on the group. I waited until I thought the 3 minutes were up, cleared the mask enough to confirm it and we headed to the surface. At the surface I pulled off the flooded mask and realized the silicone skirt and the plastic that holds the lenses had completely separated.

Today's thought is that leaving your mask in your dive bag when you give it to the luggage handlers at the ferry may not be a good idea. Also, perhaps carrying a spare in a leg bag would be helpful. Now I'm off to eBay to look for a leg bag.

been there, I carry a spare in my pocket

mjatkins, the answer is: X shorts! They give you two big bellows pockets and pull on easily over wetsuits or dry suits. (I think XS Scuba sells a similar item.)

I had a dive up in Port Hardy where my mask leaked badly the entire time. It does take a little of the fun out of the dive (although it wouldn't bother me nearly so much in Cozumel, as it did in the 43 degree water in Canada!)

Thanks for the suggestions on extra pockets.

I thought I was going to have the day off and go play some golf with the wife, but duty calls. Had to run out to do a discover scuba program for a guy this afternoon. This guy is the kind of student that makes for an easy day. He had never been diving before, or even snorkelling from what he said. He was great! He knocked off the skills with no issues at all, then we went for a 57 minute shore dive. He was slow, calm, and in control, and seemed to have a great time. I especially liked the way he became neutrally buoyant on the way back and just drifted in the current. i regularly deal with divers with 100 dives who don't have his buoyancy control. What can I say, some people just seem to get it. Maybe he was a "secret shopper", a ringer sent in to test me. : ) Either way, it was a nice experience. More DSDs tomorrow, let's hope it is as easy of a day.

well, yesterday I finally had that day off I've been thinking about. The wife and I went and played a round at the golf course here on the island, yay!

Back at it this morning with a new open water student, he is 11 years old. You can really tell that he has prepared for this course with his parents who are both divers. He is a very grown up young man for an 11 year old, and his tenacity is impressive. Due to the responsibility I feel for him I may well be being more demanding of his skills that I am of an adult, but he keeps rising to the challenge. Looking forward to tomorrow's session.

had my 10 year old grandson certified and he did better than the adults in the class.
Nice thread..I'll continue to read it.

thats great, we will discuss my 10 yr old daughter when I see you next month.........she will finish her course work and confined water dives in Feb, then we will do her open water down there with you in March

thats great, we will discuss my 10 yr old daughter when I see you next month.........she will finish her course work and confined water dives in Feb, then we will do her open water down there with you in March

Sounds great, looking forward to seeing you down here. I'll send you a PM with my email and phone number.

Matthew

finished the confined and open water #2 portions of the Open Water course with my 11 year old student today. He is working very hard and I am amazed at how well he is doing.

Spent the evening at the resort restaurant helping make traditional Christmas dinner for the guests. The owner let the staff have the night off to spend with their families, so a few of us pitched in to put on a feast. Met some very nice folks who just arrived today and have been told that I am starting an open water course for 3 of the tomorrow........ surprise! We talked it over and will start the next day instead, there is nothing more important tomorrow than my family. Hey, it's Christmas. Merry Christmas everyone.

Back
Top Bottom