A couple of Questions about Newbie Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robin Styles

Reaction score
Hi There guys and Girls,

I'm new to scuba diving and having just completed my AOW training I am thinking about making the giant step into purchasing my own equipment. I was just wondering what equipment, if any, you people would consider be worth me trying to pick up somewhere like EBAY? And what should I be looking to pay for the various bits and bobs? I have a sneaking suspicion that anything too fancy would be wasted on me.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts........

Welcome to the boards Robin,

We all like to save money, however some things should be looked at very carefully to avoid shortcuts and lower quality products that may affect your safety. If you buy your regulator from an authorized dealer, they will warranty them plus, most manufactures offer a free parts on yearly servicing.

Things that you will need to try on and check for size are hard to buy online, either Ebay or an online outlet. Plus if you spend time in your LDS trying on wetsuits, boots, fins, mask, etc., you really should 'honor' their time commitment and purchase the equipment there.
just something to think about...

Think about it hard. Read a lot. Learn a lot. Buy once and buy right. Not even going to attempt to tell you what to buy. I only have one answer and it's cheaper in the long run then a lot of things.

d33ps1x:
Think about it hard. Read a lot. Learn a lot. Buy once and buy right. Not even going to attempt to tell you what to buy. I only have one answer and it's cheaper in the long run then a lot of things.
I agree totally..... In addition, see what others are diving with. If you get a chance try out some of their setups to see if you like it. Go to LDS and reseacrh the BCs. It took me two months of research on scubaboard, the net, through friends, etc. before I shelled out the clams to get my gear. Here is one to get you started.
Hope it helps.

-Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom