A compassionate instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canuck, perhaps you missed one little detail that I mentioned earlier. At the request of the shop's owner, I signed the Discover Scuba liability waiver authorizing my son's participation in the activities.

Besides, unlike some states (except for specific cases involving gross child abuse or neglect) under our state law, parental authority trumps virtually everything else. I was in the water with him, therefore I held the ultimate authority and responsibility.

Unfortunately, a release means nothing if the shop or any of its employees behaved in a way that broke standard training protocols. Under 12 yrs old has to be under direct instructor supervision before certification. I've seen it happen too many times.

And you were in the water with him at a business pool. Yes you had your parental authority, but that business owner would have still been found culpable. I didn't say that I think it is right, just that it is what it is. Many people end up in huge messes for doing a favor for a long time friend.

Originally Posted by ZenDiver.3D
You are wrong. Either a professional acts like one or they don't. It's hard to tell people to obey their training and the standards when they don't model it themselves.

I'll be frank with you. I did not become a DM because I love teaching and it was one step on the way to becoming an instructor. I'm going to get flak for what I am about to say but quite frankly, its an internet forum and while I appreciate everyone's input, I have the awesome option of not giving a damn. I became a DM to get free dives. I'm not a rich student and I cant afford to pay a couple of hundred bucks every time I want to go diving. I worked in a shop for a while so that I could dive and I became a DM so I could dive and if the catch was having to take care of people, thats fine by me. I don't ignore the divers under my care and I take good care of them to the best of my abilities. But the underlying reason to become a DM? free dives. I happen to be a DM who does not appreciate PADI standards and believe me, the minute I have enough funds to flip a bird at PADI and walk off, I will. For now, I do it the way they like me to do it, demonstrating ridiculous fin pivot in refreshers instead of practicing trim together with the students.
Then you are not, on fact, a professional. You simply want free dives. That explains these responses. And I am not PADI. I am SDI and TDI. You seem to think you had no choice but to go PADI. You do realize that there a a great many other agencies. Or feel free to start your own looking for your free dives....

If you are going to pick and choose which rules you follow of the agency you chose to represent as a DM, a professional rating, then you shouldn't be one. Do I agree with all the standards of my agency? No. But I am professional enough and I like my reputation enough, not to break them.

You do it your way, I will do it my way. Despite having extensive knowledge, you choose to stick to the standards by an agency that clearly doesnt give a hoot except when it comes to making money. I choose to use that knowledge and make reasonable decisions. The world isnt black and white but its difficult to explain the gray area in the OW manual, so PADI makes it black and white. If I take one step into PADI's black area does that mean I will die and kill someone with me? No.
Again- Not PADI. So the scathing point you were going for is kind of lost...

No he's not. An awesome instructor would have waited until the pool session was through with his students, and then taken the kid himself. Standards not breached, kid has a phenomenal time, and instructor is a rock star. No charge, no card, just a try-dive within standards and showing proper safety training.

There's another thread right now about a 12 year old newly certed diver whose mom took him on his first dive to 120ft, took on a night dive, where newly OW certed dad lost him, he had to be assisted by a dm because of in-water exhaustion, and Mom thought it was great. If someone doesn't model obeying training and rules, then it just continues.

Perhaps there was a better way for the instructor to do this. If I were him, I might not have allowed the kid to dive if for nothing else, then for the liability. Or I could've thought, what the heck, my dive buddy of over 20 years in supervising him, I can trust him. Go ahead and brand him evil, I think it depends on a case by case basis.
I didn't brand him evil. I did say that he should have waited until he was done with other students and taken the child himself. Yeah. That was harsh, huh?

Financial constraints my friend, what can i say. Read the above post. Like I said, I follow the rules most of the time, its once in a blue moon when the standards feel completely idiotic to follow and at those times, I make up my own mind.

I dont openly flout the agency standards trying to be a rebel within the ranks. A professional rating, to me, is just another cert card. There can be effing lousy OWSIs and there can very good, very experienced mentors who I can learn from who aren't anything more than OW divers.

A DM rating, a OWSI rating, a whatever rating, is a means to an end. How many people actually became instructors because they loved TEACHING? And how many more became instructors to feed themselves, or to be able to live their lives diving?

There can be a darn good instructor who chooses to edit the standards to come up with a better guideline in the location where he teaches. Can you label him unprofessional just because he doesnt follow all the standards to a T?

If you can, please label me unprofessional too. I'll proudly wear that badge.

I can label you as unprofessional, based on the drivel above. Every good instructor works within the standards. And the instructors who make up their own rules as they go along and have the ego to believe that they know all, are the ones who eventually give the good ones a bad name. They end up bending, breaking, and creating their own rules. Standards are loose enough for interpretation in lots of areas and you have play and leeway. But not where it concerns allowing an untrained diver in the water without direct professional supervision.

And you can believe anything you like. But I am not only an instructor. As a shop owner, I have even more to lose if my instructors make a call like that.
Also, as someone who's had to perform CPR on a child who was under direct parental supervision by his dad and mom, yet still managed to have his child end up severely brain damaged to near drowning, I have seen the "what if" happen. I hope never to have to watch that again.They will never be the same and the child is permanently disabled. I can only imagine if it were my child. Follow the rules, or go find an alternate playground. Really simple.

Nah couldn't be bothered to start my own agency.

You have seriously never ever broken an agency standard in your entire life?

Maybe I'm too young and inexperienced and I have not had to perform CPR on a child, so I haven't seen what you have seen. Perhaps letting the child in the water with his parents was a poor judgement call?

I say use your brain, not just follow the standards. Thats all. Probably a bad idea if you choose to enforce this in the masses since there will be bad instructors with poor judgement who now think hey! its ok to not follow XYZ rules and end up killing people.

Everyone is not the same, for me personally, I'd rather not enforce the same standards on everybody. In cases where I am unsure, I always stick to the conventional rules. In cases where I think there is a compelling argument not to follow the rules, I dont.

You're probably quite similar in this way except that you have found out through experience that 99% of the time, follow the rules, nothing will go wrong. Matter of experience, matter of mentality. In any case, I wasn't there with the instructor in the OP so its pointless to debate if he was right or wrong.

Yes I am rather unprofessional. Haha. I love the idea of it but hate the negative connotation.

Nah couldn't be bothered to start my own agency.

You have seriously never ever broken an agency standard in your entire life?

Maybe I'm too young and inexperienced and I have not had to perform CPR on a child, so I haven't seen what you have seen. Perhaps letting the child in the water with his parents was a poor judgement call?

I say use your brain, not just follow the standards. Thats all. Probably a bad idea if you choose to enforce this in the masses since there will be bad instructors with poor judgement who now think hey! its ok to not follow XYZ rules and end up killing people.

Everyone is not the same, for me personally, I'd rather not enforce the same standards on everybody. In cases where I am unsure, I always stick to the conventional rules. In cases where I think there is a compelling argument not to follow the rules, I dont.

You're probably quite similar in this way except that you have found out through experience that 99% of the time, follow the rules, nothing will go wrong. Matter of experience, matter of mentality. In any case, I wasn't there with the instructor in the OP so its pointless to debate if he was right or wrong.

Yes I am rather unprofessional. Haha. I love the idea of it but hate the negative connotation.

Yes there is always a nuance to situations. Yes, you have to use good judgement. I simply wouldn't have let the kid in until I was there next to him. Not that big a difference.
Standards are broad enough in most areas for you to have leeway. SDI gives you a great deal of it as an instructor. There are some, however, that cannot be breached or bent. Those involve supervision of the students. Those I will not bend.
Always try to be professional and compassionate. A reputation lost, cannot be recovered easily.

True, but I don't think this is unique to diving. Whenever something becomes mainstream it tends to get standards applied to this. While you're right there are downsides, I think overall it's a positive (risk assessment can be difficult).

Yes, risk assessment can be difficult. Yes yes yes yes yes! That's why it is important to exercise the muscle. But, if you want to make a profit by volume you must avoid rejecting paying customers. To accomplish this you reduce the need for the difficult and time consuming risk assessment skills via standards/rules.

Imagine just removing one set of standards: depth limits: let people progress through depths at their own pace. In theory, I'd say this is a great, people would be able to progress at a pace that is right for them, not what their cert-card says. But in practice, many people won't be good judges and make fatal mistakes: they may not realize the risk that comes with diving below 100 feet, etc even if you "teach" it to them well.

The problem again is that the rule replaces critical thinking. How many students are just taught the MOD without understanding the why. There are several reasons that rec limits are set at 130' and if more students understood the why they wouldn't violate the MOD so frequently. But because it is just a rule, and they can't at the moment "see" the reason why, they violate it.

It's kind of the same argument for and against speed limits. People against them say "people aren't complete idiots and tend to go a reasonable speed even if there were no laws". I can see the point, but I probably wouldn't advocate getting rid of speed limits.

Yet we have some of the most ridiculous speed limits around. If you actually follow the "rules" you stand a good chance of causing an accident or inducing road rage. The police won't even enforce the law unless you are going 10km's over the limit. But to use your example I am suggesting that making a defensive driving course manditory would reduce accidents more than arbitrary speed limits.

I don't think that follows. Probably the agency with the most stringent instructor requirements and the most little leeway for individuals (GUE) is also one that promotes thinking divers and doesn't just pump out c-cards.

It's a different model. GUE doesn't pump out instructors, isn't afraid to fail students and doesn't work on a volume based marketing model. Yes they have high standardization but that is part of their mindset and it matches the degree of critical thinking expected as well.

And in fact, I'd argue the opposite. Not that too many standards are the problem, but that the standards are too low. I'd like to see PADI include a solid portion on gas management, more things about diving in cold water, better info on DCS, etc. as part of their "standards". Some teachers teach above the standards and this is good in my opinion, but maybe if it was part of the standards, they all would?

It would be nice but I see the dumbing down of SCUBA instruction as the result of a decision to profit by volume. If an agency "raised the bar" customers who have been led to expect instant gratification would balk and they risk losing market share. Standards are a harm reduction strategy put in place when instructor/student quality declines and the lawyers are allowed to set policy.

I don't think many people would not help out in an emergency because they are afraid of getting sued. This is, in my opinion, an incompatible comparison to the situation discussed here. I'd never watch someone die becuase of the very, very small chance someone would sue and an even smaller chance they would win.

You'd be surprised how common it is. I have witnessed it many times as a first responder/EMT-A. People frozen by fear because they live in a society where someone else is expected to take care of such things.

However, on the other hand let's say a friend who is an experienced diver but never got certified wants me to get him air fills (since he can't) for him. I wouldn't do it, I'm not placing myself in that liable position. If something did happen, there is a reasonable chance I could be sued and a reasonable chance they would win. Also, the upside of helping him out just isn't that great (make him a little happy).

That's a personal choice and I respect it.

PS. I expect to still be freinds after all this :)

I will repeat something I said earlier: If I could go back in time to the beginning of the event, I would not change a thing. My son had a valuable experience and we enjoyed some quality time together.

Would have been very easy - and just as fulfilling/rewarding - to do an "official" DSD with the kid.

There's another thread right now about a 12 year old newly certed diver whose mom took him on his first dive to 120ft, took on a night dive, where newly OW certed dad lost him, he had to be assisted by a dm because of in-water exhaustion, and Mom thought it was great. If someone doesn't model obeying training and rules, then it just continues.

Zen, I don't want to get in between Lord H and you but please tell me you are not comparing that example and this.

Yes there is always a nuance to situations. Yes, you have to use good judgement. I simply wouldn't have let the kid in until I was there next to him. Not that big a difference.
Standards are broad enough in most areas for you to have leeway. SDI gives you a great deal of it as an instructor. There are some, however, that cannot be breached or bent. Those involve supervision of the students. Those I will not bend.
Always try to be professional and compassionate. A reputation lost, cannot be recovered easily.

Never dived with SDI/TDI.

I despise PADI and SSI since I have dived with them and I loathe the pump out cert card ideas that a lot of instructors have. As long as he meets the standards, he passes and gets his cert. follow the standards. standards standards standards thats all I tend to hear from these people and I thoroughly disagree.

I've been wanting to dive with GUE, UTD and other less recreational agencies in the hopes of getting trained and not just certified. Unfortunately I'm saving up for it :p I wouldnt know about SDI standards but if they allow for a good amount of leeway without breaking them, then thats awesome since I wont need to.

I accept and respect your point about supervision, but would you allow lets say a very very experienced diver who knows a thing or two about rescue but isnt a certified professional to supervise a young diver wannabe in a shallow pool? Yes this is a what if question but I'm just wondering if your penchant for standards will disallow this since its technically incorrect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom