Error A Story of Poor Judgment

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by the diver, buddy, crew, or anyone else in the "chain".

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was referring to WRSTC members. The number of new divers taking rec1 from GUE is likely miniscule each year.
I would probably do well with RAID from what I've heard. I have no idea how to do a cross-over to them.
Contact them.
Has to be a game.

I kind of revel in it. I look at some agencies where you have to learn x skill on x CL dive. Or show it outside of actual use. I've no idea how RAID does it, but NASE allows me to see it in situ. If I see them clear their mask on the dive, then I don't have to ask them to show me apart from that. This means they not only know how to do the skill, but when to use it. I've had many students ask why we aren't kneeling in a circle in OW doing one skill after the other. No need to. Showing me your skills as we have a fun dive is far, far superior. Let's see your great trim and buoyancy as we look at the pretty fishies.
I would prefer if the industry moved that way, as I believe it would result in healthier retention rates. When I see mills, their retention rate is abysmal. The more individually focused ones in my area (that also teach NB/T) have much higher retention rates. My numbers were poor when I started out teaching on the knees and reversed completely when I taught NB/T.

Now I accept that my observations are not statistically significant. However, when I have conversations with instructors who made the same switch saying the same thing, there is a trend worth investigating. There would be more business for everybody. And the coral would be thankful.

Actually, there were others who knew about those. It's how he was caught breaking the rules.

I injured my back a few years ago. I didn't feel I could assist or rescue a student adequately should a problem arise, so I stopped teaching. Two months after surgery, I think I'm ready for that responsibility again and just might rejoin the instructor ranks. Might. @cerich and I are planning a fun dive, so I might use him as a rescue dummy just to be sure. Don't tell him as it might ruin the surprise. :D

But yes, even though this is not a technical dive, and I've been cleared by my surgeon to go diving, I've made Cerich acutely aware of my possible limitations. It's the responsible thing to do.

I had a good 20 year run but I miss it now. My specialty is trim, neutral buoyancy, and propulsion. You don't pass any of my classes without having truly mastered that. Cave instructors love my students. Just ask Cerich about how graceful they are in the water.

They need to start with trim and neutral buoyancy.

You can make learning to dive quite fun and still be demanding. No need to be an a-hole to teach them how to be safe.
It seems a foregone conclusion that he should never teach again. What other agencies need to step up and ban him?

there is a trend worth investigating.
I was told by some big agency wonks, that I wasn't making much of a difference. That's OK, I was making a difference to my students and that's all that counts.
Contact them.
I did. They didn't seem too enthused. I'm fine. I'm at the end of my teaching career.

He's authorized to teach under PADI, SSI, SDI/TDI, NAUI...
Yes and they all should expel him. A complete and total blacklist.

Back
Top Bottom