A career as a dive instructor - realistic or idealistic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kgdiver:
I moved to Thailand to do the same thing. I loved it! But don’t plan on making much money at all. It is a labor of love. I would suggest you plan on supplementing your income somehow. I lasted about 2.5 years until I decided it was time to come back and start making some money again. If you can, do it and don’t look back. You will not regret it and you only live once. If you have any specific questions about the country or my experiences pm me.

Good Luck to you!

if that is what being a dive burnout is then sign me up. 2.5 years of great times, and great memories then returning back to reality to plan your next adventure is time well spent.

Sirenita:
I'm very proud to announce that I am a Dive Master now! I am taking a couple of days off to recover from my celebrations which kicked off in grand style with the "snorkel"...a compulsory rite of initiation into pro dive ranks!

Congrats Lisa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sirenita:
Does anyone know if Mexico is a good place to work? I speak intermediate Spanish, and I was hoping this may give me a small advantage, and the opportunity to become fluent.
I just dove in Sint Maarten last week with a guy who had been a DM/Instructor In Cozumel, MX. I asked him why he left MX and his answer was "The MX government was hassling me about work there and taking jobs away from Mexicans" but then again, he wasn't a pretty female... He's now a DM/Instructor in Sint Maarten...

oh, and good luck

HoggieEater:
I just dove in Sint Maarten last week with a guy who had been a DM/Instructor In Cozumel, MX. I asked him why he left MX and his answer was "The MX government was hassling me about work there and taking jobs away from Mexicans" but then again, he wasn't a pretty female... He's now a DM/Instructor in Sint Maarten...

thats too bad, because i would love to work en cozumel. maybe by the time i can escape reality they will have changed their attitude.

Scotty g:
I'll second this. Very clever way with words. Some hidden talent there for definite!

<Blush>
Thanks guys, I am seriously considering a writing project in the future using my blog as a framework for a travel / diving / adventure! :) :)

hey, just read this one. congrats Sirenita... did my OW in Thailand years ago...

still workin as a dive bum now... :D

Hi,
I am a recently formed OWSI and my dream is to work abroad with my boyfriend, he is also a OWSI.

Could you give me tips regarding the best place to choose? We would prefer to stay closer to Europe. Red Sea? mexico (not close but....)?

Is it harder or easier for couples? We don't plan to get rich but we would'nt have other incomes so......

Please let me know your sincere thoughts.

Thks :)

Hi,

Any opinions on this? I loved this thread and would really like to hear your suggesations...

Any instructor couples?????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom