A beginner seeking advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL, I never before realized that Cressi were fans of the kids show TMNT. I can't think of another reason to name computers both Leonardo and Donatello. Pretty funny.

Hey @Antonios . End of summer is a great time to buy second hand. Have a look here: Facebook Groups and here Facebook Groups
Some good deals pop up now and then. I saw these days a suunto zoop novo and a D4i (suuntos are pretty popular here in Greece, I don't like them, but you can find other brands in these groups too).

Few general info/suggestion:
- In most computers (I think all entry level ones) the user cannot erase dives. Hence the dive count you will see in second hand units will be real ( I bought my cressi newton 180euros 2 years ago with 4 dives - 2 of which were practically splashes at 3 or so meters - I couldn't believe it was real but it was!)
- Don't worry (for now) for more advanced models unless you have the money to spend and you need air integration (AI - I don't use it and I have seen people having issues with it but a lot of people like it). Even the intermediate ones don't offer much more features. Cost increases fast while even entry level have most features that a normal rec divers might ever need (except AI maybe). My suggestion: buy an entry level - enjoy it and IF/WHEN you consider tech diving in the future you will get whatever is needed then - your entry level DC will then be used as a backup.
- Caution: Sooner or later someone here in scubaboard will suggest you to look for ~1000 euros Shearwater Teric or Perdix. At least now Shearwater has Peregrine (does more that you will probably ever need, save AI, at around 500 euros). If you have the money look no further.
- I'd prefer a DC that has user replaceable battery (again I'd avoid suuntos). The cost and trouble of sending them for replacement is too big.

Cressi Donatello looks nice. As you said an updated Leonardo. What you might not like are:
- it needs an extra interface to download your dives (cost of extra ~70 euros - at least now it is Bluetooth) I think it is a "must have" item
- it lacks air integration (if you need it)
- it looks similar sized to leonardo hence it is big. Newton (I don't know its' newest model name) on the other hand is watch sized - you can comfortably wear it as a watch after dives while the screen is not much smaller.

As always these are my 2c.

I am following the second hand groups I told you above - if I see any good deals I will inform you.
Regards
Thank you Stepfen for your suggestions and the fb groups - those are really great help! You are right - I am not a tec diver, not even an experienced one. A newbie like me splashing around helplessly in 5 meters depth, with a fancy shearwater on his wrist is not cool, is just funny.I will leave those impressive DCs to technical divers for the time being.:wink:Last, but not least, I cannot afford an expensive computer. Cressi models are somewhat more affordable than Suunto, and with a user-replaceable battery.

Frankly speaking, I wouldn't buy a lot of equipment for 10 dives a year. I would rent at the beginning, possibly different equipment at each dive. If you do so, you can save a bit of money in your first year of diving, and you will learn a bit about the differences between different brands/solutions/etc. This is true for the computer and for other pieces of equipment.

Do you follow tables when you dive?

@Antonios FYI there is an oceanic geo 2.0 for 230 euros on sale here: Facebook Groups posted for sale on the 19th of August. Keep in mind - I don't know this DC, I don't know if it is still available nor the one selling it and I don't know if this is a good deal or not. Just letting you know

Also I forgot to mention: You said you plan to do 8-10 dives a year. That's too low for somebody living next to the sea :) If you are hooked you will soon (hopefully) find ways to dive much more than that.
Thanks - I do hope that someday I will dive more frequently! My instructor says the same. For now, as a new diver, I do not feel confident to dive just with a buddy, even if I had one. I feel secure only when diving with an instructor or DM. Also, I do not own any gear. So for now, diving with a dive center and renting the gear is the only one (and costly) option for me. But I hope that in the future everything will get better!

Frankly speaking, I wouldn't buy a lot of equipment for 10 dives a year. I would rent at the beginning, possibly different equipment at each dive. If you do so, you can save a bit of money in your first year of diving, and you will learn a bit about the differences between different brands/solutions/etc. This is true for the computer and for other pieces of equipment.

Do you follow tables when you dive?

No, no tables yet. As an OW diver, I am still confined in NDL and shallow waters. I am just seeking advice for a DC after my AOW cert, when (and if) I will be able to dive deeper and follow decompression tables. IMHO, right now and with my current experience, a dive computer is just an unnecessary luxury for me and most OW recreational divers. But I seek to learn from more experienced folks like you. It's always better to know and planning in advance for something, than to just try to figure what to do by oneself...

No, no tables yet. As an OW diver, I am still confined in NDL and shallow waters. I am just seeking advice for a DC after my AOW cert, when (and if) I will be able to dive deeper and follow decompression tables.

When I did my OW, we use to dive following tables in order to stay within NDL. I am not sure how you ensure to be within your limits otherwise...

I was asking because, if you dive with tables, a bottom timer would be cheaper and sufficient. Also, with a bottom timer, you need to be aware of time, depths and limits - this is something very helpful if you will continue diving later on. With a computer, you will tend to be less aware (the computer will tell you when you pass NDL, so you don't need to be aware).

However, ask your instructor if he agrees on using just a bottom timer.

IMHO, a dive computer is just an unnecessary luxury for me and most OW recreational divers.

You can even do deco dives without a computer. However, you always need at least a bottom timer, because you absolutely need to be aware of:
1) depth
2) time
3) NDL
this is very very important at any level, even OW. You can do it with a bottom timer and NDL tables, or with a computer. Just do it.

EDIT: clearly I intended a bottom-timer/depth gauge... :D I hope I didn't made confusion

When I did my OW, we use to dive following tables in order to stay within NDL. I am not sure how you ensure to be within your limits otherwise...

I was asking because, if you dive with tables, a bottom timer would be cheaper and sufficient. Also, with a bottom timer, you need to be aware of time, depths and limits - this is something very helpful if you will continue diving later on. With a computer, you will tend to be less aware (the computer will tell you when you pass NDL, so you don't need to be aware).

However, ask your instructor if he agrees on using just a bottom timer.

You can even do deco dives without a computer. However, you always need at least a bottom timer, because you absolutely need to be aware of:
1) depth
2) time
3) NDL
this is very very important at any level, even OW. You can do it with a bottom timer and NDL tables, or with a computer. Just do it.
Yes, NDL, that will vary significantly depending on the decompression algorithm your computer runs. Make sure you buy a computer that runs a deco algorithm you can live with. Do nitrox earlier than later.

. . . a dive computer is just an unnecessary luxury for me and most OW recreational divers . . .

Unless you discover that 2 out of 3 of the dive computers in your rental gear don't work, and you don't really know how to use the working one either. A cheap wrist computer was the first thing I bought after the mask and fins, and it has worked fine since then.

No, no tables yet. As an OW diver, I am still confined in NDL and shallow waters. I am just seeking advice for a DC after my AOW cert, when (and if) I will be able to dive deeper and follow decompression tables. IMHO, right now and with my current experience, a dive computer is just an unnecessary luxury for me and most OW recreational divers. But I seek to learn from more experienced folks like you. It's always better to know and planning in advance for something, than to just try to figure what to do by oneself...

You need either a bottom timer/watch and a depth gauge OR a computer. Take your pick, but it’s non-negotiable.

Back
Top Bottom