85m air dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, 92 pounds lift but bungee to have less lift? Or bungeed in a way that can be undone in the event he has to recover his seizing, drowned buddy who wishes he'd worn a full face mask?
Or does the bungeed wing serve some other purpose that we're not getting?

So, 92 pounds lift but bungee to have less lift? Or bungeed in a way that can be undone in the event he has to recover his seizing, drowned buddy who wishes he'd worn a full face mask?

The bungy is designed to restrict the size of the wing. It's typically used to make use of an oversized wing rather than having to buy a wing that's properly sized for the application.

The amount of available lift is dependent on how tightly the bungy on it is put. The bungy is used to help streamline the wing so it doesn't "taco" around the tank(s) and flap all over the place. There are arguments that the "ripples" that the bungy causes on the wing surface causes turbulence, increases drag and reduces streamlining.

Additional concerns with a bungied wing is that some people claim that depending on how tight they are, it may be difficult to orally inflate if that becomes necessary.

Further, since the bungies would act to squeeze the air out of the wing in the event of a hole or failure, some argue that it is a safety hazard. In a typical non bungied wing, you could orient yourself so that the hole is at the bottom and trap air in the upper (orientation wise) part of the wing and thus retain some degree of lift.

In short, a lot of people prefer to use a correctly sized, non bungy wing and then carry some sort of redundant lift device such as a drysuit or a lift bag/smb to deal with any emergency problems that may develop.

congrats on a personal best tortuga ! i 'm glad this thread has come back to some what normal territory . and hey at least you had a bpw who knows what all those limpdick naysayin g morons would have said if you had a jacket !!!....sorry i had too ... what deco model did you use?

The bungy is designed to restrict the size of the wing. It's typically used to make use of an oversized wing rather than having to buy a wing that's properly sized for the application.

The amount of available lift is dependent on how tightly the bungy on it is put. The bungy is used to help streamline the wing so it doesn't "taco" around the tank(s) and flap all over the place. There are arguments that the "ripples" that the bungy causes on the wing surface causes turbulence, increases drag and reduces streamlining.

Additional concerns with a bungied wing is that some people claim that depending on how tight they are, it may be difficult to orally inflate if that becomes necessary.

Further, since the bungies would act to squeeze the air out of the wing in the event of a hole or failure, some argue that it is a safety hazard. In a typical non bungied wing, you could orient yourself so that the hole is at the bottom and trap air in the upper (orientation wise) part of the wing and thus retain some degree of lift.

In short, a lot of people prefer to use a correctly sized, non bungy wing and then carry some sort of redundant lift device such as a drysuit or a lift bag/smb to deal with any emergency problems that may develop.

You said Taco.......... :eyebrow:

1. I've heard it improves streamlining but have also heard it does the opposite.

2. Also heard they are easier to vent.

3. And also you can tighten the bungees if you want less lift I believe

1. Dunno. I have three doubles wings, including an OMS 45# Larry Green and a Halcyon Explorer 55#. The bungeed wing is the most 'stable' of them all IMO, the others the air really shifts around. I prefer to use the bungeed wing for OW, the LG for wreck

2. I'd agree with that, you can vent from the inflator more easily without having to get vertical

3. I doubt that would work, I think you'd just stretch/break the bungees

I don't really want this to turn in bungee v non-bungee, but here goes...

I disagree. The bungee doesn't restrict the capacity of the wing. I have always had bungees on my wing, I don't put them on for some dives and take them off for others. You can get bungee wings in smaller volumes as well

The amount of available lift is dependent on how tightly the bungy on it is put

Disagree, as per my reply to saspotato above

I've done oral inflate with the bungees fitted as per the manufacturer's recommendations, it's fine

Not an issue on a redundant bladder wing

Redundant lift and bungees are two unrelated topics. The relevant topic is dual bladder wing vs dry suit vs lift bag/SMB

Bungeed wing has the same lift as unbungeed wing, the wing will still fully inflate. The purpose of the bungees is so you don't have uninflated wing flapping around all over the place when it's only partially inflated, as Cave Diver said above. It also reduces air shift and has the side effect of making venting easier

congrats on a personal best tortuga ! i 'm glad this thread has come back to some what normal territory. what deco model did you use?

Thanks. Decoplanner

Sorry, Decoplanner with Buhlman

A 30 pound wing would have been enough for the dive

Don't see many people diving doubles with 30# wings, why is that?

What sort of excuse is that?

It's not an excuse; you asked a question, I answered it

By the way,how many bottom timers did you have?

In this case, only one. Usually I wear an old analogue Citizen Aqualand as well, but it's being repaired at the moment. I'd just bought a brand new Uwatec and decided that would be sufficient for a wall dive

Congratulations on getting away with suboptimal gas and gear choices.
Hopefully you will still be around a year from now.

Back
Top Bottom