85m air dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread has actually been great to follow and seems to have gone through all the usual arguments without dwelling too much on any particular item.

I won't pass judgement on anyone for wanting to push their own limits, even if it is dangerous or bordering on stupidity. I think most people want to push themselves more and more in whatever they do, it may not be a unique record to hit 85m, but it is a personal record and in a years time we could have a new record depth using air - it needs to start somewhere.....

Alternatively this time next year a few people have mentioned we could be looking at an obituary, although I'm sure no one here would wish on anyone! Unfortunately that risk is just part of life - smoking is proven to be dangerous and bad for your health but yet a huge population choose to smoke.... Using deep air isn't all that dissimilar, there's science to prove you shouldn't do it but there'll always be a few who ignore the risks or consider them acceptable. Continuing the smoking analogy, in a few years time we may have dive shops with 'non-deep air' areas allocated so deep air users don't offended or cause inconvenience to non-deep air users - that could be a great logo opportunity?!

Either way this thread has brought up some good points and was thoroughly entertaining to read!

Just my thoughts anyway :)

Karl

There are arguments that the "ripples" that the bungy causes on the wing surface causes turbulence, increases drag and reduces streamlining.

Patently absurd, but I suppose not really the topic for this thread.

Patently absurd, but I suppose not really the topic for this thread.

Also not a topic for this thread, but I remember when I did my first tec diving course, and the instructor kept banging on about "trim" and staying streamlined; and I thought "Hang on, I am wearing doubles, carry a 40 cu ft bottle slung under each arm - I can barely stand up I am so overladen with tanks, reels, lights, etc., and he is worried about streamlining....?!"

I thought you might be, just making sure. :)

That's one part of it, the other is simply that the assumption of laminar flow over a non-bungee wing is pretty questionable.

My understanding of free diving is that since they are not breathing compressed air narcosis and dcs are not an issue?
I also know when they are going for records they usually have a botload support team.

My understanding of free diving is that since they are not breathing compressed air narcosis and dcs are not an issue?
I also know when they are going for records they usually have a botload support team.

Not sure how that relates to this thread, but your understanding is wrong on both counts. :mooner:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom