85m air dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've not seen a post polarise as much (well maybe the split fins debate).

I must say, you all come across as self-righteous belligerent bullies!

People take unnecessary risks that can and do border of suicidal, so what? At worst ignore it, at best it can just be a small bit of information that can be used by someone somewhere in a very tight situation.

The fact you have all descended on this chap with your pitch forks ready to burn down his house, is frankly disgusting.

Calling people "self-righteous belligerent bullies ready to burn down his house" is
so much kinder and gentler.:rofl3:

I forgive you..... and.....
We'll pray for you....

Was the whole dive done just to hit a certain depth? There wasn't something specific you wanted to see?

I realize we all dive for different reasons, and none of us should have to (or probably can) justify why we dive or do the dives we do. But I sure can't wrap my head around taking the risks involved and the just plain old EFFORT involved in going down to that depth, just to be there. I mean, it's not a record or anything . . .

So you want him to try to set a deep air record instead? :D:D

I used to think like this too.

A recreational dive must have a "valid" reason or objective
Diving for a particular depth is not a valid reason to attempt the dive.

As I get older, I am less inclined to think in this manner. If the guy wants to set his personal depth record (on air), has a reasonable understanding of the risks involved, then I really see little reason to think there was "no reason" to do the dive.

People dive to look at little fish, to take a picture, a video, to spear a fish, to look at the back side of a dark, cold and muddy cave and many times just to say they did it. All valid reasons in my opinion.

I've done deeper dives on air with a single tank (and pony), no deco gas, solo and without anyone else'e knowledge on the boat. I consider it a stupid stunt, but everbody is different.

Remember: People are diving deeper than this while freediving!

My biggest questions are; Why the need for over 90 lbs lift in the BC? Why does it appear that second stages are hanging down in the photo? Why does it appear that both stage bottles are in front and deployed at the same time?

Calling people "self-righteous belligerent bullies ready to burn down his house" is
so much kinder and gentler.:rofl3:

I forgive you..... and.....
We'll pray for you....

Naff off.

WOW! God really does answer prayer.

You should be thanking ianr33 not god, since the option has been there the whole time

1. Why the need for over 90 lbs lift in the BC? 2. Why does it appear that second stages are hanging down in the photo? 3. Why does it appear that both stage bottles are in front and deployed at the same time?

1. My rig only needs ~50# lift. The extra lift is in case I have to pull up someone who's own wing has a problem. Uncommon but it has happened

2. Because the photo was taken during a gas switch

3. Because I'm clipping them together and stowing the reg so that when I come to the surface I can hand them up to the boatman

I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of using a bungeed wing?

I've heard it improves streamlining but have also heard it does the opposite.

Also heard they are easier to vent.

And also you can tighten the bungees if you want less lift I believe.

I used one before to see what it was like and did not really find any different to a normal wing.

1. My rig only needs ~50# lift. The extra lift is in case I have to pull up someone who's own wing has a problem. Uncommon but it has happened
Very much doubt that.Assuming the backgas tanks were Al you only had about 18 pounds of gas. Adding a couple pounds for the shorty wetsuit gives you 20 pounds. A 30 pound wing would have been enough for the dive

2. Because the photo was taken during a gas switch

What sort of excuse is that? Its just sloppy.

By the way,how many bottom timers did you have? Only see one in the photos

You should be thanking ianr33 not god
Same thing really :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom