85m air dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amazing, this drivel is still going on... and I thought BP was a big polluter.....:D

Another thing I want to do at some point is to dive trimix to whatever my maximum depth on air has been, to compare the difference

I think that is an excellent idea. Try going to depth and breathing your air for a minute or two, switch to trimix for three minutes, then switch back and see the difference. I did that at 202 fsw and was amazed at how much impairment was there that I hadn't been completely aware of on previous deep dives. When I left the trimix reg and went back to air it was like a fog wave rolling across my brain that I could feel happening.

It enlightened me enough to make getting trimix certified part of my future. Helium is our friend.

Unfortunately there isn't really much you can learn from a dive like this. Congratulations on living through it. My friend here in Czech wasn't as lucky. He went to 90 meters in the austrian lake "Attersee". They found his body two days later at 70 meters with his doubles empty and his stage full and untouched. He too thought he could train himself to deal with the narcosis. Never found out whether he drowned or O-toxed. Really didn't matter to his wife or kids, he was/is still just as dead.

I am reminded of a friend of mine who has been to Paris, visited all of the required museums, skied the swiss alps, the austrian alps, all the hot spots in the rockies. been here been there, dived here dived there, not because he really cares but so he can tell others where he has been and what he has done.
ymmv

I did that at 202 fsw and was amazed at how much impairment was there that I hadn't been completely aware of on previous deep dives. When I left the trimix reg and went back to air it was like a fog wave rolling across my brain that I could feel happening

I don't doubt that it will make a big difference, and if I was doing penetration/low viz/cold water dives at these depths, then 'mix would be my gas of choice

Whether it would have saved TDP's friend, we'll never know

Dear God:

You know I don't ask for much. Although I will agree that since becoming a SB reader, it seems I ask more and more for your help. Can you please provide us with an ignore button on SB so we don't have to endure the useless dribble from certain morons in this thread. You are all knowing and all powerful, so I don't even have to tell you which moron I'm referring too. Oh, and thanks for keeping him alive if he really did do this stupid dive. Oops!

Is the risk then in two categories - narcosis will slow responses to problems, and OxTox, where you're pretty much toast anyhow?

I'd say they were the two primary risks, yes

Try going to depth and breathing your air for a minute or two, switch to trimix for three minutes, then switch back and see the difference. I did that at 202 fsw and was amazed at how much impairment was there that I hadn't been completely aware of on previous deep dives. When I left the trimix reg and went back to air it was like a fog wave rolling across my brain that I could feel happening.

It enlightened me enough to make getting trimix certified part of my future. Helium is our friend.

I was going to ask if you couldn't simply mitigate both primary risks by use of a different breathing gas, but the Docc posted before I could back to a decent 'net connection.

In looking at this as a risk/reward thing - are you satisfied the "reward" (85 m dive on air) was worth the risk (vs. 85 m dive on alternate breathing gas such as trimix suggested by Docc)? As one who is ignorant in the other factors involved in the planning of this dive, it seems like there was just a "personal best" kind of goal. If that's the idea I can certainly understand why doing this would not be recommended for others. If there are motivating factors I'm missing, I would be interested in reading about them.

Dear God...

As Ian already informed you, there IS an ignore button; alternatively you could just stop reading my thread. You know, don't click on it. It's not that hard, I'm sure you can do it if you try. I have faith in you

In looking at this as a risk/reward thing - are you satisfied the "reward" (85 m dive on air) was worth the risk (vs. 85 m dive on alternate breathing gas such as trimix suggested by Docc)?

I guess the short answer is Yes, but that makes it sound like depth is both the objective and a big reward, and it's not. As I've tried to explain before, it's not the depth that interests me, if it was I could go deeper on trimix

It's definitely a risk to exceed PPO2 of 1.6 and I wouldn't encourage anyone to do it as I stated in my OP. A couple of years ago I wouldn't have gone beyond that myself, at that time I set my personal limit at 66m for air and frankly I was nervous about even doing that. But I did it and dive with people who have done it many times and more, and now I have too. That's not to say it should be done or that you should do it, just that it can and has been done. YMMV

I remember looking up and seeing an sixty year old greek diver on the Britannic wearing a single cylinder with one reg.....:popcorn:

Click on said morons name. Go down to "Add XXX to you ignore list"

WOW! God really does answer prayer.

Back
Top Bottom