7mm wetsuit recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

segundo3000gt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i tried doing a search because i know this question has already been asked before. i'm new to scuba and i'll be diving minnesota lakes. i've rented equipment a couple of times and used 7mm wetsuits. could anyone let me know what some of the considerations would be in choosing a wetsuit? they all look the same to me right now. any brands that i would most likely want to look at? if there is a forum that has already covered this let me know and i can just look there for answers too. thanks.

Well anything that thick is going to be uncomfortable as hell (yes even the mighty Hendersons). I use a 7+7 and find the Bare brand to be a good combination of features, cost, comfort, and practicality.

I've tried O'Neill wetsuits are they are real nice but tend to be pricey.

Cheers.

-J.-

segundo3000gt:
i tried doing a search because i know this question has already been asked before. i'm new to scuba and i'll be diving minnesota lakes. i've rented equipment a couple of times and used 7mm wetsuits. could anyone let me know what some of the considerations would be in choosing a wetsuit? they all look the same to me right now. any brands that i would most likely want to look at? if there is a forum that has already covered this let me know and i can just look there for answers too. thanks.

Fit--you'll be diving in cold water and the suit needs to be snug. I'm tall and narrow and so have a problem with wet suit fit, but I found that Bare, which has a big range of sizes, was able to deliver. Also because it's a 7mm you should make sure that there is enough stretch in the material to let you put it on and take it off without severe contortions and/or injury to yourself.

6.5mm Akona is what I use. Cost effective should I decide to go DRY someday. Lots of sizes. Very warm. More flexible than 7mm, too.

thanks guys. so akona and bare are some brands to look at. how about the type of wetsuit? i'm thinking of getting a full wetsuit and a separate hood. additionally i was going to get a hooded vest that i could wear for better warmth. any thoughts?

segundo3000gt:
thanks guys. so akona and bare are some brands to look at. how about the type of wetsuit? i'm thinking of getting a full wetsuit and a separate hood. additionally i was going to get a hooded vest that i could wear for better warmth. any thoughts?

My girlfriend uses an O'Neill 7mm 7000X J-Type Wetsuit because the sizing was a good fit for her. It has an attached hood and a 5mm attached vest in addition to the 7mm outer layer. There are no zippers for the legs or hands, and 12mm of neoprene at waist to squeeze through, so it's difficult to put on, but since the fit is good it keeps her warm and doesn't restrict her flexibility.

I use a Cressi Sub Lontra 3 Mens 7mm Jumpsuit. I was between the L and XL, but went with XL. It was a better fit in the legs, but a little loose in the torso, but that means I have room for a hooded vest underneath. It has zippers everywhere so it's easy to put on and I feel as flexible in it as in my 3,5mm Cressi. (I didn't notice any difference when reaching my valves on doubles).

Anyway, I think the main thing is to get a suit with a good fit. If money was not an issue, then I might look into a custom Rubatex wetsuit.

*Floater*:
My girlfriend uses an O'Neill 7mm 7000X J-Type Wetsuit because the sizing was a good fit for her. It has an attached hood and a 5mm attached vest in addition to the 7mm outer layer. There are no zippers for the legs or hands, and 12mm of neoprene at waist to squeeze through, so it's difficult to put on, but since the fit is good it keeps her warm and doesn't restrict her flexibility.

I use a Cressi Sub Lontra 3 Mens 7mm Jumpsuit. I was between the L and XL, but went with XL. It was a better fit in the legs, but a little loose in the torso, but that means I have room for a hooded vest underneath. It has zippers everywhere so it's easy to put on and I feel as flexible in it as in my 3,5mm Cressi. (I didn't notice any difference when reaching my valves on doubles).

Anyway, I think the main thing is to get a suit with a good fit. If money was not an issue, then I might look into a custom Rubatex wetsuit.
i like the cressi you're using. i might be in the same boat as you. i'm 6'1" but only about 165-170 lbs. I'm worried that if i get something tall enough it might fit kind of loose on me. It looks like my height will push me into an XL for most brands.

I have the Deep See 7mm full suit (stretch version), and also use a Deep See hooded vest (4/6mm). I never found it uncomfortable, and it kept me warm on hour long dives in the lower 50s, but I was quite cold in water <50F. I have since gone dry, but would have no problem pulling out the wetsuit once the water warms up next summer.

segundo3000gt:
i like the cressi you're using. i might be in the same boat as you. i'm 6'1" but only about 165-170 lbs. I'm worried that if i get something tall enough it might fit kind of loose on me. It looks like my height will push me into an XL for most brands.

Check out O'Neills MT and Camaro's L. The Cressi L should also work for you based on your height and weight, but it's always hard to say unless you can try them on. If you order online then ask before ordering if you can send it back and exchange it for the next size if it doesn't fit.

segundo3000gt:

At this point you need to think about fit. Our recommendations are only going to go so far. I know, because I went down this same path just a few years ago.

If you can try some of this stuff on it will open your eyes. Like the hooded vest question? That was a big NO for me. In warm water I don't wear a hood but I may wear parts of my thicker wetsuit. Also, with the hooded vest you've got it attached to you all the time. It's a personal preference for sure. I'll surface and pop my hood off about 80% of the time, weather permitting.

Sea ya!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom