7mm wetsuit recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Bare Artic and my buddy dives the Bare Velocity. Both are really excellent suits. The ankle zippers are nice. Both suits are pretty easy to get on and off. I also use a Henderson 7 mil hood I really like. It has a cool vent in the top to let out trapped air.

hey this is all great feedback guys. i've definitely got some information to work with. at scuba.com if you go to cold water wetsuits the akona 7mm is the first one to pop up and seems to be highly rated. the tilos and bare also seem to be in a similar price range. i've heard nothing but good things about henderson so obviously there it's just a matter of justifying the price jump. the hooded pinnacle looks like what i had envisioned. i'll have to look into the henderson hood with the vent. it seems like a good idea. i appreciate frogman's input on drysuit vs. wetsuit and i may end up with a dry suit in the future but i think i'll want to have a 7mm on hand anyways. i don't see it as a duplicate purchase.

My wife has a 5mm hyperstretch. It's been a good suit, but they do have a spotty reputation for durability. So far hers is holding up OK.

Hendersons come with a 1 year warranty. XS Scuba has 2 years. I have no idea what other brands have, but I think it's worth checking & considering when weighing the price differences.

I'm big on the Bare Arctic and the companion 7mm hooded step-in shorty. I've used it to 40F and I never get a shot of cold water. By the time water reaches me it has warmed between layers. The gasketing does a great job at limiting water exchange.

FIT is ctritical. A hint of compression all over is what you want lt have. No sags or bags and few to no wrikles. When I remove my suit after a dive the witness marks of the stitcing remain imprinted in my skin for a while. Meanwhile it must not hinder you inhaling or assit in exhaling. Arms on opposing shoulders, reach for the stars, touch your toes, all unencumbered.

A good, well fit 7mm suit with 2X on the core is not as evil or uncomfortable as some will suggest. There will come a point where going dry is desirable but everyone can't go that way out of the chute. Also personally I much prefer diving wet while the season allows so a wetsuit will not be obsolete for me. I went dry last year and just returned to dry diving a few weeks ago.

Pete

Go with a BARE out of Canada!!

Lone Frogman:
The biggest waste of money was buying my 7mm wetsuit. I'm glad it was a cheap one. Your money would be better spent by buying a dry suit. Your winter and cold weather diving will be so much better.

YOU SAID IT BROTHER!

I've got a 6.5mm semi-dry. (Typically a wetsuit, but sealed at the ends, so the water needs to seep through, instead of leak through.) Personally, I love this suit. For me, a comfortable fit, and I have many dry patches on my body when I get out of the water. (That is, if some 'mate' doesn't come along, and pull my coller out, and let cold water down my back! :wink: )

Previous to, I used a two-piece. I found the semi dry warmer, and less bouyant (meaning less weightgs)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom