7mm wetsuit or 5mm + hooded vest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDCB:
What were you used to that the Akona was so tough to get into and out of? Was the Akona too small? I'm getting the impression that they run smaller than advertised.

Carl

Sorry for late reply... It was my first 7mm after certifying. I had rented a 7mm henderson previously and after trying on the Akona ( i specifically went in to buy it after reading that review!) I tried a henderson gold core that is much easier to get into. The cuffs around the ankles wrists of the Akona are really stiff. Once on the suit felt great, but I just couldn't imagine pulling in and out of it. I've got a shoulder that needs some fixin and it would not work for me. Even the gold core can be a little tuff. If you have mobility issues a hyperstretch sounds like a good call - but pricey! I'm told you lose a little in warmth going with the hyperstretch so adding a hooded vest is also a good call.
good luck! mike

Thanks mbs,

I'm happy to get the feedback. I was at my LDS yesterday. They were having a swapmeet and sale. I tried on some Bodyglove suits. The were newer and better models than the rentals. I am apparently a strange size or a popular one. They did not have my size on the rack. They also had a close out on the O'neil @#7000 suits. That's a pretty neat cold water suit. It has a built in vest and an attached hood that hinges down and Velcro closed. I don't know if that's a leaky spot but it looked cool. However as I said not in my size and 30% off the already discounted price. The suits I tried to get into were the Body Glove X3 Expedition and the EXO which was said to be their top of the line. The Expedition was nice but a little stiff for a "stretchy" neoprene but the EXO was very nice to slip into, more stretchy and felt thicker but not restrictive. The Expedition had a smooth coating inside and the EXO had a "fuzzy" lining. Both were of 100% stretchy neoprene but two different types go figure.

If that made sence please explain it to me.

C-ya

Carl

Back
Top Bottom