7mm wetsuit or 5mm + hooded vest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbs:
I really wanted to love the Akona based on the price and the mag review... But I found it to be a real ***** to get in and out of! It looked great, well made and probably would be really warm, but I couldn't handle the hassle getting in and out. Recommend you definitely try before you by this one.

What were you used to that the Akona was so tough to get into and out of? Was the Akona too small? I'm getting the impression that they run smaller than advertised.

Carl

GDCB:
Water Wolf, How close are you to their size chart? And how well does it fit? ie...tight or loose compared to your measurements and their advertised measurements?

I ordered the 5x. I'm 6’ foot, 290 lbs. and my chest is 56” so besides the height and waist, I’m pretty close to their 5x on the size chart. The problem for me is finding a wetsuit of any brand for my measurements where I match the chart – they are all very different in the larger sizes. The AKONA fits a little tight but I feel that way in all wetsuits except for a thin 1/2 mm Henderson Neoprene that I have (6x). I also have a 3mm which was custom made and it fits about the same as my AKONA.

I would think twice before going lighter on your arms, they should be still and will chill first and take your hand with them.

Hodded vest and a full suit are the ticket IMO.

Pete

I guess I'll rent awhile longer as I think about this. Is it just me or is the hardest part of diving getting into and out of a wetsuit. Oh and the surf entry and exit.

ok enough whining

hey FYI Im thinking of selling my size medium 7mm superstretch with only 3 dives on it for 100 if you want. Its a great suit but I need the $$...

GDCB:
I guess I'll rent awhile longer as I think about this. Is it just me or is the hardest part of diving getting into and out of a wetsuit. Oh and the surf entry and exit.

ok enough whining

With the right wetsuit and technique it's easy. If you are doing "The Wetsuit Dance" something is not right. Get in up to your knees and position the knees perfectly then roll it up, over the caboose then out the sleeves.

If you try to step in like a pair of trousers it's a hard life.

Pete

Yah, I do the roll up. I'm disabled and that's the problem. I have rhuematoid arthritis (joint degeneration). Diving is good therapy as it is weightless exersize. The better fittng stretchy suit should allow me to drop lead which would be a big help too. I may try the nylon skin thing.

Mlody thanks but that's too small. I'm 5'-10" 192lbs. I think I'm a large in a Henderson.

Carl

I went and tried a 7/5 Henderson Hyperstretch, a Tilos 7/6/5 Superstretch and a Meres Tri-Stretchy thing. The Henderson won for me. Very comfortable in a size large. The Tilos size chart said a large should fit but was tight in the chest. There was another size on their list an XLS that probably would have been right but not in stock. Same for the Mares. I also tried the Tilos semi-wet. Not my size in stock.

carl

I just got a 3MM Akona suit and I had to go a full size larger than I expected, but it fits really nice. I fit the 3XL sizing chart but I had to get the 4XL to get the right fit.

Hi Carl, Save up a little while and get the Henderson 7/5 you will not regret spending the xtra $ Most comfortable suit I have used and I have had many. I got mine one size larger than normal and heres how I layer mine, very warm down to 45 or so. I wear a lycra skin then a trilam(o bouyency but warm as 2mil neo) 7/5 Hyperstretch, then 3/5 hooded vest, 2mil skullcap if nescessary. then just lose a layer in warmer water. this setup is very flexable. The lycra and or trilam is great for warm or tropical by themselves, the 7/5 for cool waters and then the whole pile for the cold stuff. Hope this helps and dive safe, Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom