7mm wetsuit or 5mm + hooded vest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDCB

Reaction score
Hi, I'm reentering diving after a 15 year pause. I was a warm water vacation diver years ago but have recently started diving cold water. Monterey, CA. Generally 50+ degree water. I've been using a 7mm jumpsuit with a 5mm hooded vest. The problem is I'm disabled and using this as therapy. I'm told that a hyperstretch is the way to go for mobility and ease of putting on. I'm told that a 7mm or 7/5 is sufficient for the area. Here's my question. I'm on a very small disability pension and am trying to maximize my dollars. Would I be better off buying a 5mm hyperstretch and a 3mm or 5mm hooded vest to layer with it. This way I could use it the combo in cold water and the 5mm by itself on a trip to So. Cal. or Mexico or something.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Carl

GDCB:
Would I be better off buying a 5mm hyperstretch and a 3mm or 5mm hooded vest to layer with it. This way I could use it the combo in cold water and the 5mm by itself on a trip to So. Cal. or Mexico or something.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Carl

Depends on your tolerance for cold. If you can handle a 55F Degree day in a 5mm with a 5mm hooded vest you are stronger than me (by a long shot). I don't think the price is too different going from a 5mm to a 7mm anyway. If it were me I'd get the 7mm Akona suit, check out this article on them http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/exposure_protection/the_chill_is_gone/1/. And you can get them cheaper than what they say in the article. I just don't think a 5mm in 50F degree water will make you comfortable enough. Just my 2 cents.

I personally like to layer, but only 5mm on the arms and legs maybe too cold for water in the 50's. I would go with the 7mm with at least a 3mm vest for water that cold. For warmer water you could then use the 3mm vest with a skin or 3mm full. Cost wise, if you look around you can always find some great deals on wetsuits. Good luck.

I'm looking for a good 7mm suit also, for a low price,(I want value). I found something on e-bay. http;//stores.ebay.com/TOMMYDSPORTS1 see if that fills your requirements. I have'nt bought yet

For ease of donning your 5or7mil suit try using an aeroskin suit.This makes donning a 5or7 mil wet suit a breeze. I look funny in mine but I don't care I can slide into my 7mil real easy now.

Thanks for the replies. I'm having a tough time finding LDS with suits in stock to try on. I've been leaning towards some of the superstretch models because of mobility issues and I've read they are warmer because of the close fit. I seem to be between sizes on a lot of these suits and don't know how forgivng they are. I was warm enough in 51 degrees at 80 fsw in a (rental) Bodyglove X-2 7mm full suit with their 5/3mm hooded vest. Also, I'd like to drop some lead by changing to the stretchy stuff. The Akona looks really promissing based on price, size, and magazine reviews. The Oceanic Faralon is a great price but the size chart misses me and I don't think it has the really stretchy stuff. Henderson is probably the easiest fit but cha-ching wow!

Carl

GDCB:
Thanks for the replies. I'm having a tough time finding LDS with suits in stock to try on. I've been leaning towards some of the superstretch models because of mobility issues and I've read they are warmer because of the close fit. I seem to be between sizes on a lot of these suits and don't know how forgivng they are. I was warm enough in 51 degrees at 80 fsw in a (rental) Bodyglove X-2 7mm full suit with their 5/3mm hooded vest. Also, I'd like to drop some lead by changing to the stretchy stuff. The Akona looks really promissing based on price, size, and magazine reviews. The Oceanic Faralon is a great price but the size chart misses me and I don't think it has the really stretchy stuff. Henderson is probably the easiest fit but cha-ching wow!

Carl

I really wanted to love the Akona based on the price and the mag review... But I found it to be a real ***** to get in and out of! It looked great, well made and probably would be really warm, but I couldn't handle the hassle getting in and out. Recommend you definitely try before you by this one.

Thanks! Good input.

Water Wolf, How close are you to their size chart? And how well does it fit? ie...tight or loose compared to your measurements and their advertised measurements?

Back
Top Bottom