7mm in 82 degrees in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many of the locals dive either a 5 or 7 mil wetsuit, but it is a very personal matter. Water temps are 78-80 this time of year and down to maybe 72-74 in the "winter" if you can call it that!

If you get hot on the boat or on shore, just unzip the suit and peel out of the top of it! Personally, a 7 mil wouldn't be enough for me in Hawaii. I dive a 5 mil semi-dry if I'm doing a single shore dive. For a boat, I'm diving dry.

@RickyF so you're saying a 7mm in 82 degrees is ok? I won't be uncomfortable in water?

For me it's way overkill. I used a body suit for protection only in Panama in 76F water. In 65F I use the shorty. But as pointed out, everybody's different. As for overheating, there are times in summer in NY area when 85+ air temp. gets me sweating in my shorty during the quick gear up time. Not so bad between dives with the suit being wet. Since you won't be able to try the 7 mil in 82F water ahead of time the logical thing would be to compare it to something you're used to. Ei. I'm warm enough with a 7 mil in 68F water, so a 5 mil should be fine in 78F water.

My experience over many trips to Hawaii is 76 degree water in the winter to a warmest of 80 degrees in the Fall. I dive a 3mm in the fall and a 5 mm in the winter. My wife dives a 5 mm all year with a hooded vest in the winter, but a 7 mm would work fine. Better warm than shivering, every time.

@RickyF so you're saying a 7mm in 82 degrees is ok? I won't be uncomfortable in water?
It's hard for me to say how YOU will be. I dive a 5 mil year round and I'm fine. I just returned fro Kona and the instructor wore a 7M and a heated vest! That's OVERKILL, but she gets cold really easy!

I like others would be happy with a rash guard in water that warm, but as I dive in 40 deg water most of the year that seems like hot water diving to me.
Wetsuits merely act as an insulator that allows the divers body to keep the little amount of water that gets inside warm. people that get cold easily need more thermal insulation than those that do not get cold easily. You can adjust the temperature down in the wetsuit when in the water. If you are feeling warm in the water just flush some water into the suit(open the neck and let water in) instant cooling. You could wear a 14mil if it was available and not be too warm in the water with a little flush down the neck. On the other side you can not get warm in the water if you start to cool down. no source of heat other than you.

You may find it quite warm/hot out of the water, and the thicker the suit the more weight you will need. I would recommend to go as thin as you can and enjoy the diving with as little weight as you need.

Where is the 82 degree water in Hawaii? Never been there in the summer but I've seen a lot of 76 degree water in the winter.

For what it's worth, I pretty much use a 5mil suit if the water is cooler than body temperature :D

7mm...that's what I use in 45-50 degree water in February. :)

I get cold easily, just got back from the big island in a 3/2 mm full, water temp was 80 degrees and I was fine (60+ minute dives).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom