7mm in 82 degrees in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where is the 82 degree water in Hawaii? Never been there in the summer but I've seen a lot of 76 degree water in the winter.

Pretty much limited to the surface in late summer/early fall. And even then, it depends on prevailing currents and upswellings. Get much below 150'-200' and you'll find a decent thermocline; below 300' it drops into the 60s pretty fast.

Will I overheat? I'm planning 3 dives a day, mayyyyybe 4. I do get cold easily but don't know if I'm overdoing it.

What temperature is the water where you normally dive (in your 7mm)?? Compare that temperature to Hawaii's (typically mid-70's F), with the consideration that you will be doing multiple dives per day, and you can get a feel for what you might need.

There is no "right" answer here. I am fine in a 3mm full with a hood, here in Hilo, which might have the coolest temps in the state (low 70's, and one winter I recorded 68F). My wife needs a 5mm year-round. Both daughters do fine in 3mm, my son in a 3/2 mm.

And other local divers prefer 7mm... some use shorties, some just lavacore like the good Dr. Lecter, and some just T-shirts and shorts (brrrrr).

So, 5 or 7mm full is NOT overkill for Hawaii if you chill easily and are planning multiple days of 3 dives per day.

Remember, if you get too hot you can always unzip and let some water in... but if you get too cold you'll be extremely miserable.

Have fun with whatever suit you choose!

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom