7mm in 82 degrees in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carter21

Registered
Reaction score
Will I overheat? I'm planning 3 dives a day, mayyyyybe 4. I do get cold easily but don't know if I'm overdoing it.

Wow, that sure sounds like some serious overkill. I would bet you would be uncomfortably hot.

Personally I wouldn't overheat but I'm freakish sensitive to cold. Is it a two piece or one piece? You can always open the neck yo let in some fresh cool water. The big problem might be standing around in the beating sun. FWIW I wear a full 5mm in Thailand and start to get cold by about day 4 of a liveaboard. Tolerance to cold is very personal and can vary greatly from diver to diver. It's very difficult to give you a definitive answer to your question. You almost certainly won't be cold though. Unless you're doing multiple dives over multiple days a 5mm might be more suitable.

One piece. Good to know, thanks for the replies. I'll purchase a 5mm as I know I'll be freezing in a 3mm for sure.

One piece. Good to know, thanks for the replies. I'll purchase a 5mm as I know I'll be freezing in a 3mm for sure.

Yes, I tried a 3mm on one trip to the tropics and it was not enough for me I started to get cold before the first dive had ended.

3mm for hawaii is not enough for me either. I am good on the first dive, then start feeling chilly. One the 2nd day and onward, I definitely miss a thicker wetsuit or even a drysuit. The main issue is not necessary in water, but out of water with wind chill. Next time I am going to tropical destination, I will bring my white fusion sport.

I dive here in a lavacore shirt (no hood) and trunks, others here dive 7mm suits with steamers underneath or drysuits. If you even think it's a workable amount of insulation, you'll probably be fine. Most dives are quite lazy here, so you won't be working up a sweat. You will, however, be roasting during the SI.

If you are prone to getting cold, bring a 5. we dive 2 to 3 times a week and I wear a 2.5 mil but I am pretty warm blooded. My wife gets cold so she wears a 5 in the summer fall and a 7 mil in the winter spring. That's funny to even mention seasons here but I guess we have them here. Make sure you get your gear together prior to suiting up as you don't want to hang out in the sun too long suited up. its been 90 this week with very little trades.

You will carry more weight with a 7mm than a 5mm for me it is 8kg and 4kg. The 5mm will also be easier to get into and out of in my experience. I have dived with a 7mm in 69 degree water with an integrated hood leaving the zip open down my back very comfortably. outside temps were not that high though. You should have seen their faces when i asked at the resort for 8kg's. They looked at me very funny and the DM watched very closely for the first 10min of the dive till he saw my weighting was spot on!

Type of dives can matter. Shore dives on the reef or deeper dives?

Keep the wet suit wet during the SI. The evaporation helps keep you cool. Also peeling down the top half helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom